Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Stormport and Etherloop problems

Status
Not open for further replies.

WFITMAN

IS-IT--Management
Aug 3, 2002
US
Our company is running a SOHO/tc with vpn's through
an Etherloop system and Elastic Networks Stormport 600
modem. The problem is probably with the ISP that is also
the local telco and the owner of the office we lease.
The problem is that we initially bought a 256k/128k line
but it was very slow (averge ping times of 600-1000 with
between 5% and 100% packet loss). The local ISP (telco)
said nothing was wrog with their line. I was getting @
120k to 175K down with @ 275k to 300k up. DSLReports and other speed test sites. I upped the bandwidth to 512k/256k
but it got worse instead of better. Is their some test I can make on their equip that will show a problem in their
service ( the only service in town ). Paradyne is of no help
with the Stormport even though they own it. We have a static ip and the loss shows up on that address. the outside address to our modem.I have setup similar systems for some of our other offices with decent results
I'm at a loss. Any suggestions?

I'm really confused here, but let's have a go at unraveling this. First off, you should have zero percent packet loss or there's a problem (in a point-to-point network setup like this.) We're talking about router to router = one hop, right? Maybe 2 or 3 if you're using a networked PC and a workstation.

The project I'm finishing up has 64kbps (actually 56k) DS0 dedicated lines to 5 remote sites and I get 30-40ms ping times router to router. Now clearly with VPN you're going to have a fair amount of overhead built in, but 600+ ms ping times??? That's insane.

Now this bit about 120-175kbps transfers -- this would be what I'd expect over a cable modem or 1.5Mb DSL line -- my rule of thumb is to divide by 10 (figure it's actually divide by 8 plus factor in IP overhead and such.) So, my full throttle 1.5 Mbit (rated) cable modem download here at home runs at 180 KBytes ps under the best conditions.

If you have alternatives, tell your ISP/telco to pound sand. I know if I call my provider and tell them I have >5% packet loss and pings >600ms, I'll have a P2 trouble ticket in seconds and a call back within the hour. Unless you're out in the boonies, there's no reason whatsoever to put up with service like that.

Good luck...

Given my experience with the Storm ports they are self adjusting speeds. Any other words if you max your load on the Storm port it will adjust its speed to accomodate your needs. I don't really like a Storme port unless I am going to use it one something that maintains a major load constantly. That is just my opinion though.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back