Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Storing the Current System User in SQL Server DB via Form

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cheryl3D

Programmer
Mar 26, 2002
US
Hello:

I have another issue. I am working on a database project using a Microsoft Access Project (.adp) as a front-end and SQL Server 2000 on the back-end. I (and users) am using Windows NT authentication to log into the SQL Server database.

I have a main form that contains some sub-forms, and together they function as a data-entry form for entering new records into database.

On one of the sub-forms, I have a field called 'AdminID' located in a table called FundSites. This field records the current system user who entered the new record.

I have a code snippet below that refers to the BeforeUpdate event for the sub-form that contains the AdminID field in a text box on the sub-form:

Private Sub Form_BeforeUpdate(Cancel As Integer)
Dim cnn As ADODB.Connection
Dim rst As Recordset
Dim strSQL As String

' Return reference to current database
Set cnn = Application.CurrentProject.Connection

strSQL = "SELECT * FROM dbo.FundSites"
Set rst = CreateObject("ADODB.Recordset")
rst.Open strSQL, cnn, adOpenForwardOnly, adLockPessimistic

Me![AdminID] = CurrentUser()
rst.Update
rst.Close
cnn.Close
Set cnn = Nothing
End Sub

Notice that for the AdminID field on the sub-form within the recordset, I state in the code:

Me![AdminID] = CurrentUser ()

This is the line of code that I what to change. Instead of the Access 2000 CurrentUser () function, I want the value to equal SQL Server's SYSTEM_USER function.

How can I make that happen? How can I change the ADO code above so that:

Me![AdminID] = the current system user in SQL Server 2000

Plus, the (SYSTEM_USER) value gets stored into the table when a new record is inserted.

I could use the SQL Server SYSTEM_USER function as follows:

SELECT system_user AS AdminID

It returns a value (e.g. domain name/user name). Correct? Could I use a stored procedure?

Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Cheryl

Why do you ant to come to your application to do this update? If you are using integrated authentication then you can fire a trigger at the backend for the FundSites that would update the AdminID field.

HTH,
Vinod Kumar

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back