Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Stored Procedures for Progress Databases? 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

starkertowers

Programmer
Mar 30, 2001
US
Does anyone know how to actually write a "Stored Procedure" For a progress database? Or if that is even possible? We are doing Crystal reports off of a Progress database and are only able to use the table-linking wizard that crystal provides, but it would be nice to be able to base the reports off of a stored proc in the database, similar to a sql server environment. The interface to the Progress db is Epicor Vantage. ANybody know why they wouldn't just use Sql Server to begin with?

Thanks in advance, Mark

Hi,

What version of Progress and vantage do you use? What are you trying to achieve?

There are many reasons why vantage/epicor uses progress some historical, some functional. I am not db techy but there has been long discussions about this.

We are using vantage version 8.00.808C. Not sure about the version of progress. What I am wanting to achieve is to create the equivalent of a sql Stored Procedure on the progress server, and use it as a data source for a Crystal Report (we are using ver X of CR). If that cannot be done, is it possible to do some kind of linked servers (ie , one of the servers would be a sql server , probably msde, and the other server would obviously be the progress database server).

Mark

Mark,

I think you have gone beyond me. You are probably using Open Edge Progress. You could try the Vantage / Epicor user group on yahoo. In progress you can create views which are 'stored' sql select statements which can then be accessed by ODbc.

Sorry, but I don't know if this is much help.

Mark,

You can access a Progress database from SQL Server using OPEN QUERY (a SQL Server command.) We did some heavy lifting this way a while back; see thread292-636337.

HTH

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back