Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Stored Procedure to Return data in Oracle 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

ericg

Technical User
Jun 16, 2000
CA
In MSSQL Server you could use a Select statement in a stored procedure to return many rows of data. In Oracle, it seems that you need PL/SQL to open a cursor, return the rows in a cursor and then print the cursor using SQL/Plus or a similar tool. I need to use an ODBC connection to run a stored procedure to return many rows of data via a stored procedure. This was simple in SQL Server - so how do I do this in Oracle. It seems that I am missing something, as this should be very straighforward. My front end is written to talk to SQL Server stored procedures to return data, and I want to do a minimal amount of changes to get this front end to talk to Oracle. Many of the selects are too complex to run directly as select statements without procedures.

Hmm, I'm not sure *exactly* what you mean, but an oracle stored function may be able to help you, the thing is this can only return 1 thing where as a stored procedure can return many.

You say though that the stored procedure would return many rows of data which kind of suggests that you want to run a Query, which is neither a function or an SP, so I'm not sure there either. on a few occasions I think we may have a had a similar problem in these occasions we have used a stored function to return a seperated string list, the calling code however must know what to expect as it will just get many strings back. 1 string for each row.

HTH,

Mike.

Since you didn't specify the language your front-end is written in it's a little difficult to give an exact answer. I write in VB and to do this with ADO as the middleware declare a variable as a ADO Recordset and then use an ADO Command object to send the SQL to Oracle and return an ADO Recordset. If you need more specifics I can send a code snippet in VB.

The front end is a Macintosh/Windows Database, 4th Dimension, which connects to Oracle via ODBC. I'm using the 4th Dimension ODBC extensions. A code example in VB would be helpful, as would a general description of what has to be done in the Oracle Procedure/Package to get the data there.

I think you need to return a reference cursor or an array type from oracle. I use JDBC, not ODBC, but the fundamentals are similar.

1) create an array type in oracle:
create or replace TYPE char_varray as VARRAY(1000) OF CHAR(30);

2) prepare the statement, set the output parameter, and execute it. this example passes an array to myPROC, but it's similar to get it back.
Code:
String sql="{call myPROC(?)}"; 
	OracleCallableStatement stmt =(OracleCallableStatement) conn.prepareCall(sql);
	ArrayDescriptor arrayDesc = ArrayDescriptor.createDescriptor("CHAR_VARRAY",conn);
	ARRAY newArray = new ARRAY(arrayDesc, conn, inputArr);
	stmt.setARRAY(1, newArray); 
	stmt.execute();

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back