Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Stored Procedure Return Values

Status
Not open for further replies.

2J

Programmer
Nov 23, 1999
AU
Does anyone know how to capture the return value of a stored procedure in a Crystal Report?<br>
<br>
I want to return a certain value if there are no records available and then report an error message to the user.<br>
<br>
Thanks<br>
2J

Dear 2J,<br>
Have you looked at the function 'OnLastRecord'? It returns a boolean value of 'true' when the current record is the last record. You can access this function in the formula window under 'Other'. Hope this helps.<br>
<br>
LindaC

A few ways come to mind, both of which would avoid the problem with the solution that LindaC proposed (false positive if the SP only returned one row). I haven't tested any of these, so free advice is worth what you pay for it...<br>
IF Crystal treats the empty result set of a SP as a record containing null values for all rows (I don't know if it does), then you could do a test for null in a column where you knew you wouldn't get nulls in any other circumstance.<br>
<br>
Another way is to do a count of the rows that will be returned by the SP (in the SP itself), and if the count is zero, produce a row that matches the column structure of the SP, but contains an error flag that you can use to generate a message. Depending on the SP, this could be expensive.<br>
<br>
Lastly, create a formula field in CR that generates an error message, and place it in the Page Header (which prints even when no rows are returned).<br>
<br>
StringVar MyErrorMessage ;<br>
MyErrorMessage := &quot;Error message text here&quot; ;<br>
If RecordNumber = 1 then MyErrorMessage := &quot;&quot;<br>
Else MyErrorMessage<br>
<p>Malcolm Wynden<br><a href=mailto:wynden@island.dot.net>wynden@island.dot.net</a><br><a href= > </a><br>

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back