Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

stored procedure prompt

Status
Not open for further replies.

wiplash

MIS
Jun 29, 2004
US
I'm working on a report written with Crystal Reports 11.5 viewed in Business Objects R2. It uses a prompt from a stored procedure (in SQL). Currently the user just types in his/her data into that prompt. (it's a static prompt) However, I'd like to make the prompt a drop down to limit the choices, which change frequently. Like a dynamic prompt where the user gets to select one from a drop down ... but since it's using the prompt from the stored procedure, the "normal" routine isn't working. How can I do this?
Thank you in advance!

I'm not sure whether this will work in XI R2, but it's worth a shot...

1. Let the stored procedure create the parameter - there are some additional hidden properties that get set when this happens.

2. If your parameter is going to be based on data from a table, add just that table to the report. DO NOT link it to anything! Crystal will throw a warning that this is generally not supported, but it will work correctly for this process.

3. Edit the parameter created in step 1 in the main report. Make it dynamic and point it to the table added in step 2 to get its data. NOTE: DO NOT use the fields in this table for anything in the report itself - just use them in the dynamic parameter.

4. When you publish the report to BO, be sure to check the "Update Repository" checkbox.

5. Run the Business View Manager (BVM) and update the data connection so that it contains the password for the database connection and it doesn't prompt the user for login.

6. Also, now that the parameter is configured in the BVM, you could remove the table from the report and just point the prompt to the LOV in the BVM instead.

-Dell

DecisionFirst Technologies - Seven-time SAP BusinessObjects Solution Partner of the Year

As always Dell, I appreciate the help! I will try this and post the results.
Thanks!

Haven't yet got this working correctly but now on the right track I think.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back