Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Stored Procedure help 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

GUJUm0deL

Programmer
Jan 16, 2001
US
Hi all, i'm trying to create a stored procedure where I push all data from one table to another in the same dB.

This is what I have done so far:
Code:
CREATE PROCEDURE test1.sendtolive AS (
  insert into test2.dbo.Department_Info
  select * from Department_Info where Is_Live = 1
)

The above code should push ALL info from the Department_Info table from TEST1 dB to TEST2 dB. I am getting the following error:

Code:
Error 8101: An explicit value for the identity column in table 'test2.dbo.Department_info' can only be specified when a column list is used on IDENTITY_INSERT is ON.

I think that means I need to do something like:

SELECT @Department_Info_ID=@@identity
SELECT @Department_Info_ID AS Department_Info_ID

Is that right? If not, then any help would be great.

Thanks.

[sub]

select all the collumns except the identity column from the Department_Info table or use a column list

“I sense many useless updates in you... Useless updates lead to defragmentation... Defragmentation leads to downtime...Downtime leads to suffering..Defragmentation is the path to the darkside.. DBCC INDEXDEFRAG and DBCC DBREINDEX are the force...May the force be with you" --

Thanks for the help SQLDenis.

How do I use/create a column list?

By the way, does this effect the way the data is being pushed? I mean, let's say record 1012 is being pushed from TEST1 to TEST2, how does SQL server know to push record 1012 if the identity column is not being pushed or is shut off?

Thanks.

[sub]

If you need the same exact data (including identity field)
do this

set identity insert on

set identity inset off

“I sense many useless updates in you... Useless updates lead to defragmentation... Defragmentation leads to downtime...Downtime leads to suffering..Defragmentation is the path to the darkside.. DBCC INDEXDEFRAG and DBCC DBREINDEX are the force...May the force be with you" --

A column is is the list of the columns

insert into tableA (field1, field2)
select field1, field2
from TableB

You just name the columns

Hi, thanks. I did this:
Code:
CREATE PROCEDURE test1.sendtolive AS
  set @@identity insert on

set @@identity insert off

I am getting an error:
Code:
Incorrect syntax near @@identity

[sub]

Code:
SET IDENTITY_INSERT test2.dbo.Department_Info ON

INSERT test2.dbo.Department_Info

SET IDENTITY_INSERT test2.dbo.Department_Info OFF

--James

My bad it's

SET IDENTITY_INSERT ON

SET IDENTITY_INSERT OFF

Hmm, maybe i'm doing something wrong. I still get an error. I have:
Code:
  SET IDENTITY_INSERT ON

SET IDENTITY_INSERT OFF

and I get: Incorrect syntax near ON and Incorrect syntax near OFF

I tried both your suggestion and JamesLean's

[sub]

SET IDENTITY_INSERT ON is set for the connection
you can't put it in a proc (I think, but I might be wrong)

what you can do is not making the column an identity in the second table, move the data over and then making it identity again

> SET IDENTITY_INSERT ON is set for the connection

Where? In Yukon? :p [peace]

------
"There's a man... He's bald and wears a short-sleeved shirt, and somehow he's very important to me. I think his name is Homer."
(Jack O'Neill, Stargate)
[banghead]

Oops

Well the TEST2 dB is the exact mirror of TEST1 (TEST1 is meant for CMS and TEST2 is meant for live site). They want both tables to be same, even in respect to its datatypes.

I can't use "SET IDENTITY_INSERT test2.dbo.Department_Info ON" in the SP itself? Then where else does it need to be? I would be calling this SP from backend code (Coldfusion).

[sub]

You can use it, I goofed a bit, I tested it out on my system and it works (make sure you reset it after you are done
do your stuff

Why don't you do this with a trigger?

I must be doing something wrong. I am getting the same error.

This is what I have now:
Code:
  INSERT INTO test2.dbo.Department_Info
  SELECT * FROM Department_Info WHERE Is_Live = 1

I am creating the SP from SQL Server by righ clicking "Stored Procedures" under TEST1 dB and selecting "New Stored Procedure". I click the CHECK SYNTAX button and I get that error.

[sub]

your proc name can not be test1.sendtolive make it sendtolive instead

No luck. :-(

CREATE PROCEDURE sendtolive AS
INSERT INTO test2.dbo.Department_Info
SELECT * FROM Department_Info WHERE Is_Live = 1

[sub]

[banghead]
SELECT * .... nope, won't work. Specify all column names instead.

------
"There's a man... He's bald and wears a short-sleeved shirt, and somehow he's very important to me. I think his name is Homer."
(Jack O'Neill, Stargate)
[banghead]

... more precisely, I think SELECT * should work but you must specify target column list, e.g.:

INSERT INTO test2.dbo.Department_Info (blah blah blah)
SELECT * FROM ...

------
(Jack O'Neill, Stargate)
[banghead]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back