Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Store XML Object in MySQL

Status
Not open for further replies.

southbeach

Programmer
Jan 22, 2008
US
Working on an API integration where responses are received in XML. There could be any number of sources and each have their own format.

Now, since I am dealing with 45 to 50 different sources, I figure that the best option would be to extract from each whatever I may need for searching/indexing purpose and store the entire XML Object in a column.

The idea is that once the XML content is needed, I can/should simply extract the object from the column, just as you would any other column, and do what needed.

For the life of me, I have search high and low and a couple of hours later, all I find is suggestions to parse the XML document and store the individual values ... but as I said, no two of these people use identical format.

If I save it in a BLOB field, how then do I read it later? is this possible at all?

--
SouthBeach
The good thing about not knowing is the opportunity to learn - Yours truly, 2008.

Hi

[tt]blob[/tt] ? Binary Large Object ? But XML is text. Why not use a field of type [tt]text[/tt] instead ?

Feherke.
feherke.ga

You can store it in a blob field if you want to, but as Feherke points out a Text field in MYSQL may be more adequate for XML.

As to how you read it, you read it like you read any field in MYSQL. Run a select to get the field you want and read the XML. Since XML is just text, once you get it back from the query and into a variable you can do with it whatever you want.

----------------------------------
Phil AKA Vacunita
----------------------------------
OS-ception: Running Linux on a Virtual Machine in Windows which itself is running in a Virtual Machine on Mac OSx.

Web & Tech

I have tried both, text and blob but nothing seem to be stored.

Come to think of it, I am not serializing nor escaping it ... Let me try that!

--
SouthBeach
The good thing about not knowing is the opportunity to learn - Yours truly, 2008.

So, the problem was my attempting to store simplexml object instead of the XML document itself.

Spotting this was one of those moment ...

--
SouthBeach

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back