Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Store Text Box data in a Table Field

Status
Not open for further replies.

BradCustom

IS-IT--Management
Oct 5, 2007
US
thread181-1292653

I'm working on a form where I am looking up and Employee by their Employee ID then populating two text boxes with their First and Last Name. My question is can I store the text box data into a specific field in a table as I've done with the Combo Box that selects the Employee ID.

Thanks for your help!!

Yes you can. But why?
In your table you have EmplID (PK), EmplLastName, and EmplFirstName
While I can see you want to have EmplID in other table(s) as FK, but I would not kepp EmplFirstName or EmplLastName anywhere else in any other table(s).

Have fun.

---- Andy

A bus station is where a bus stops. A train station is where a train stops. On my desk, I have a work station.

The reason why is because the EmpID,EmplLastName, and EmplFirstName comes from a linked SQL table and on the form I'm entering additional information that will be stored in an Access table for use in a report. So, in order to keep the info unique I'd like to store the EmpID,EmplLastName, and EmplFirstName as well. I suppose I could store only the EmpID and in the Report pull the First and Last name from the SQL linked table.

Your last sentence in your last post IS the way to go.

Imagine you keep all the IDs, Last and First names. Susie Brown gets married and changes her name from Brown to White. What do you do? A lot of code to accomodate this change.

If you keep just IDs, what do you care if she gets married (or divorced) and changes her name? The ID stays the same. ;-)

Have fun.

---- Andy

A bus station is where a bus stops. A train station is where a train stops. On my desk, I have a work station.

Thanks Andy,
That is what I did! I changed the forms, queries and reports to use the First and Last from the linked SQL table.

:) Done. :)
The worst 'stuff' you can do in the data base is repeat data and have it in nore than one place. it is a nightmare.

Have fun.

---- Andy

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back