Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Store Procedure

Status
Not open for further replies.

sonya9879

Programmer
Jun 18, 2004
CA
Hi, I am trying to have a procedure that it checks if some data exist on one table and if it does then it perfoms an update in another table and if it doesn't then does nothing. I have the following procedure, although it doesn't actually work yet don't know why :(, this shows my idea. Is this the right way of doign this?

CREATE procedure ChangeStatus
(
@pID int,
@cID int,
@lID int,
@sNME varchar(50) OUTPUT,
@sADD varchar(100) OUTPUT
)
as
select
@sNME=sNME,
@sADD=sADD
from
table1
where
(pID = @pID)
begin
set XACT_ABORT ON
DECLARE @EXIST int
begin transaction
set nocount on
set @EXIST = (select b_sNME FROM table2 WHERE (UPPER(b_sNME) = @sNME) AND (b_cID= @cID))
if (@EXIST) begin
update
table3
set
fStatus=2
where
uID=@lID
end
commit transaction
end
GO

i have the query working, I just corrected the IF statement that the syntax was wrong:

if (@EXIST) begin = if (@EXIST IS NOT NULL) begin

In any case, I am calling this procedure from another procedure and I would like to know if this is the best way to do it, or in other words, is this procedure tunned properly? thanks to whoever is into procedures :)

Sonya: calling a SP into another SP is a good way to perform a task, so you are rigth. In this example in particular, you should try the next code in the "if exists" part:

IF EXISTS(select b_sNME FROM table2 WHERE (UPPER(b_sNME) = @sNME) AND (b_cID= @cID))
BEGIN
UPDATE table3
SET fStatus=2
WHERE uID=@lID
END

Regards,cmn

hi cmn, thanks for the observation, i have made the changes as you suggested using EXISTS. thanks again for the tip :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back