Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Store Old Code

Status
Not open for further replies.

stevens

MIS
May 12, 2000
US
Is there anywhere I can archive old code, forms, objects, etc. in foxpro so that they are not in my program but in a place that I can quickly restore if it is needed later

Your post is not giving spacific info so I will be general<br>TAPE<br>CDR<br>FLOPPY<br><br>If you are asking for spacific place to store code available to your application just not viewable to anyone looking in the directory 2 methods come to mind<br><br>1. passworded zip file in distribution<br>2. a table with 3 fields name C(20) type C(20) and a MEMO<br>use copy to memo and copy from memo to populate and restore prg's fxp's ...or any other file just remember to store the filename to the name field so you don't have to guess later. <p>Steve Bowman<br><a href=mailto:steve.bowman@wayservices.com>steve.bowman@wayservices.com</a><br><a href= > </a><br>

I heartily recommend Visual SourceSafe, or something like it.&nbsp;&nbsp;Yes, even for single-developer projects.<br><br>Think about it:&nbsp;&nbsp;how many times have you made several program changes, then later realized the error of your ways, and spent hours going back into a dozen or two PRGs and class libs (or, worse yet, a report or form layout, where commenting does you no good) trying to undo everything.<br><br>VSS makes the rollback, and even roll forward again, easy and painless.&nbsp;&nbsp;Plus it provides a way for you to track your changes by entering a summary of your changes each time you check in a file.<br><br>It's all point-and-click, so you can be up and running in 5 minutes.<br><br>There are other source control systems out there as well; VSS is just the most common among MS shops. <p>Robert Bradley<br><a href=mailto: > </a><br><a href= - Visual FoxPro Development</a><br>

Stevens(mis)<br>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;When I want to archive programs - I just save them as a .txt file with the same name.<br><br>57chevy

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back