Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Store.exe Using Crazy Memory

Status
Not open for further replies.

ScarEye

MIS
Oct 22, 2003
US
Hey guys I wanted to know if this is normal, I am running exchange server 2000 on a P4 3.06Ghz machine with like 786 Megs of RAM, Now the after like 3 days it is using about 650 Megs of RAM and when I go into task manager I see that store.exe is using 300 Megs worth of RAM. Is this a memory leaking issue or what ? Any ideas or sugesstions are welcommed.

Thanks
ScarEye

I get the same on mine. Our exchange server has a 1.5 gigs of RAM, of which STORE.EXE uses around 1-1.1 GB at any given time...

I've noticed too, that after a reboot, the machine uses hardly anything for store.exe, but after some time it slowly goes up to the gig of ram it likes to be using. It must cache stuff when it reads something (everything?)

Dave

This is usual behaviour, it occurs in all versions from 5.5 to 2003.

-------------------------------

If it doesn't leak oil it must be empty!!

Hello

Is there anyway of telling store.exe to use less memory, I am having the same problem. There are no errors on the server but I had to move application this morning because it was running very slow.

As NortonES2 says, that's the way it is designed to work - you didn't buy all that memory to have it sit idle. Caching stores in memory makes Exchange much more responsive; it is called dynamic allocation, and the store will give up memory if other processes need it, so best to leave it alone.

I also have this problem. We're running Exch 2k with 2GB RAM and store.exe routinely eats up about 1/2 of that within about a 24 hour period. It will run okay, as there's so much RAM in that machine but, after a week or so, I need to restart because the virtual memory is too fragmented.

What is odd is that I know of very similar servers, with a similar sized database and user base, and they don't have this problem. Does anyone know why it affects some and not other?

TIA! :)

I have an exchange 2003 sp1 server with 4 gig of ram using /3gb and /userva=2900 boot.ini switches.
It's a dedicated server, so I'd like it to use all the memory but it only uses 1.1 gig. It takes it all the first day, I can leave it on all week and it doesn't take any more.
I'm pretty sure it takes memory based on the number of mailboxes on the server, does anyone have better info?
If you're concerned about memory, look at the physical memory free in the performance tab in task manager. It should be at least 20% of your total physical memory. If your server is slow and this number is under 20%, it's probably time to buy more ram.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back