Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Store.exe only using 1Gig 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

rws70

Technical User
Aug 18, 2005
US
I have 4 Gig of RAM installed on Dell PE2850.

Exch 2003 sp2 - 100 users - 20G infostore

Bootini /fastdetect /3GB /userva=3030 /noexecute=optout

The store.exe never seems to go above 1 gig or ram. I was expecting it to use more of the ram I have installed.

Machine is running fine.

Is that to be expected or am I doing something wrong.

Thanks!

The process store.exe is going to allocate a certain number of pages for database buffers. The exact number depends on how much ram you have and switches in the boot.ini. With 2GB of ram or more and the /3gb switch, 898MB is a llocated for db cache.

In addition to dbv cache, you have log buffers, the version store, and various bits and pieces, however the db cache is the single largest component of exchange memory.

For more information see:

58sniper

I ran the Exch Best Prac tool and found this warning:

Server SFMAIL is running with physical address extensions (PAE) loaded

I don't see why that is running. I thought the bootini entry: /noexecute=optout turns PAE off.

Would that impact exchange not using all of the 3GB available to it?

Thanks

I'm sure it's covered in Pat's book somewhere. I'm going to have to order that; you have Pat and Bill and Bharat and Richard Luckett (whom I don't know, 3 out 4 isn't bad though) all coauthors of the same book. Should be a good read.

XMSRE
Microsoft Exchange MVP

XMSRE,

I read article 815372 and your post. So are you saying that with 4G of ram and the /3GB entry in place, the store.exe process will only use 898MB of ram (plus other misc items)?

By the way I am not getting any Event 9665 errors about memory in Event viewer.

I just remember Exch 5.5 using about 700MB for process store.exe when I had 1G of ram in that old system. So I expected Exch 2003 store.exe to use much more ram with 4GB installed and all settings correctly made.

The article you mentioned has a section called Store Database Cache Size and talks about modifying the ESE buffer size. Is that how you get the process store.exe to use more memory?

Thank You

The PAE kernel can be enabled automatically without the /PAE switch present in the boot entry if the system has DEP enabled (/NOEXECUTE switch is present)

You need to remove the /NOEXECUTE switch.

Thanks for the book plug XMSRE, but that's about 2007. It's a good read, though. :)

Pat Richard
Microsoft Exchange MVP
Contributing author The Complete Reference: Microsoft Exchange Server 2007

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back