Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Store.exe memory leak on SBS2000

Status
Not open for further replies.

PaulGillespie

Technical User
Jul 2, 2002
GB
Hello,
I have a small business server 2000. The problem is that store.exe takes up all the ram upto a point where the server is really slow and needs rebooted. I can restart the exchange services and it releases the hogged ram but slowly starts using up more. After a couple of days, it is holding onto 700mb.

I have reinstalled exchange SP3 but this didn't help.

Any ideas?

Thanks

Paul

i have the same problem

somewhere in these forums lays the answer

lets find it

its seems to be normal ..

sore.exe will eat all possible ram ...but gives it back when other apps need it !

but another questions for the experts ...

is there somehow some way to limit it ??

i have an SBS2000 so my exchange is on the pdc with sql & proxy &etc

i dont want exchange to eat all of ram ..just 1 a 1.5 gigs

does anyone knows this answer

???greetz groovyfill

I dont think it is normal for it to hog ALL the RAM. I have 5 SBS2000 sites and only one hoggs all the RAM, store.exe on the other 4 does hog a bit of RAM but not all of it.

Paul

I seemed to have found a workaround. Create a batch file with this in it.

net stop "microsoft exchange information store"
net start "microsoft exchange information store"

you may have to add lines for other services that are dependat on this, i.e. symantec services.

use the task schedular to run it every day when users are not in. This worked for me.

Dont know if this has anything to do with it but it only happens on my AMD MP processor servers not my Intel ones??

Hope it helps.

Tried suggestion by larsjuhl. Still the same prob here also. Anyone else have any luck?

Thanks,
Oryx

There is a way to limit the amont the amount of memory used but I would first use perfmon to analyse exactly where the bottle neck lies. Bear in mind that Exchange and ergo SBS use DBA (dynamic buffer allocation) this allows the growth of ESE database cache and the shrinking of it dynamically.

The following article gives an example of how to limit this database cache BUT it mentions increasing the value.. you acually nedd to LOWER IT. The article gives the details of how to do this, just make sure you don't increase as the MS example gives you... the value you need to tweak is msExchESEParamCacheSizeMax (there is a note that explains not to increase it in the stricle too)

See 822180 Exchange Server 2003 and Virtual Memory Fragmentation

Tried above, too. Same results, Store.exe mem usage hovers around 737MB. Appreciate any other ideas or hints.

I've also already the very latest Post SP3 roll-up.

TIA,
Oryx

I must confess I'm lost as to what the problem is now, it sounds like SBS is working as expected :-s

You really need to get some perfom and check what is going on there, I would expect to see some type of memory leak from somewhere if memory is just disappearing...

If you have hardcoded the database cache it will not increase above the value you specify, try 576 MB. Following the articles instruction on how to set the value and calculte what this equates to. YOU will have to cycle the IS for these changes to take place.

HTH,
Mark

PS: If you are runing something like SQL on this box then I would remove it. Exchange / SBS likes to have as much memory as it can get and if APPS on the server are fighting for memory there are bound to be perf hits (on all of the software involved).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back