Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Store.exe Excessive memory usage

Status
Not open for further replies.

WinNT511

IS-IT--Management
Apr 24, 2003
US
My exchange Server 2000 is currently taking up memory useage under the Process Store.exe.

The Server that it is Currently Running is a Pentium 3 1.26 with 1.3 Gig of Memory installed. The Process Store.exe uses at least 850 MB of the memory installed.

I have upgraded the memory recently from 786 to 1.3 Gig hoping this would fix the issue.But the store.exe just took up the additional memory I added.

I have looked up memory leaks under Microsoft's website and I have reinstalled SP3 for Exchange 2000 and SP3 for Windows 2000 Server as suggested in Technet. When I was running Exchange 5.5 the Store.exe Process maybe took up 300 MB of memory when I had 512 Installed on the old server.

I know that Exchange 2000 is a resource hungry Application and this memory usage my be normal. There is Currently no Performance issues with the Server. I reboot the server every 2 weeks to release the memory from the Process.

I have used Performance monitoring and no counters are red flagged.

Please Advise as I am out of Ideas.

E2K is designed to use as much memory as you give it. It will release that memory whenever another process needs it. For example we have our e2k server running on a Dual P4 Xeon with 1.5 GB RAM. SQL also runs on this box. Usually STORE.EXE eats up about 900MB, until we start running something big on SQL, then it will sometimes shrink down to 300MB when SQLXXX.exe will eat up 700MB. As long as you don't see any performance issues I wouldn't worry about it.

This sounds like normal Exchange 2000 memory usage to me. I have seen this issue on almost every single Exchange 2000 server. How much memory it uses is relative, somewhat, to the size of the databases. It is a little disconcerting when you first see it, though. Exchange is supposed to release memory when it's needed by other processes so I don't believe it's a problem until you see a noticeable performance hit (which I've always been able to trace to other subsystems besides memory). As a general rule, it seems that for the average Ex2k system, somewhere around 1 Gb of RAM is adequate but of course that depends totally on how many users and size of database.

Earle

It sounds like this is the normal behavior of Exch2k I will continue to monitor the server for performance issues.

Thanks,

Mike

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back