Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Store & View image using PHP & MySql

Status
Not open for further replies.

hamahfuz

Instructor
Nov 5, 2002
US
I am new and learning PHP & MySql. I search may sites for this topic. I found some samples, which doesn't work properly. That is I use the PHPdev software, here i tryied the sample codes which shows image are storing (as no error massage) but when I wish to view I shows a small box with small X. Which is simmilar as in HTML if we link to a picture but the picture is not there.

Is there any one who can give me some sample code. I like to stote image with discription using MySql and view the picture with the discription.

I strongly recommend against storing the content of an image in a database, particularly when your display interface is HTML. I recommend storing the image on the filesystem and storing the filename of the image in the database.

If you store just the filename, you have to write and maintain code to connect to the database, fetch the filename, then output it in appropriately-formatted HTML tags.

If you store the image content in the database, you have to connect, fetch an index to the image content, then provide that database index in appropriately-formatted HTML tags. Then you also have to write and maintain code to fetch the content, provide the correct content-type to the browser, and stream the content data to the browser.

The extra work to store images in a database duplicates in interpreted code functionality your web server already provides in compiled code. You also can run into problems with PHP's maximum memory usage and maximum runtime settings.

Want the best answers? Ask the best questions: TANSTAAFL!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back