Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

StorageTek T9940B CHK 5F05

Status
Not open for further replies.

MichaelIT

IS-IT--Management
Aug 3, 2010
GB
Hello,

we have a STK T9940B which is reporting "Power Fail", "CHK 5F05", then switches itself off.

Is anyone able to give me an idea of the likely cause of failure? Is it PSU or something else?

Thanks
Michael

Please FSC results below;

Field Text:
An immenent power failure was detected resulting in emergency braking of the cartridge reels.

Hi TechyG

Thank you for your quick response. I guess that the PSU may be the cause then.

BTW is the list of FSC for the T9940B available somewhere for purchase or free download?

Thanks
Mike

Hi Mike,

sorry for the late reply.

I will firstly swap the PSU...

Also check the Power cable from the PSU to the drive if it is correctly plugged... P2 is to the PSU and P53 to drive... usually if this is wrong then you will get an FSC on the drive and it will not even IPL...

Hi TechyG

Thanks, it was indeed PSU, we swapped out for a 9840 PSU which has solved the problem.

I think the original PSU fault is related to flaky power-fail detection, since the fault only occurred whenever the drive was starting a fast locate up the tape, i.e. the motor was under load.

BTW are you able to recommend a good repair service for STK drives and parts in the UK? Please feel free to PM me if you do not wish to post.

Regards
Mike

May I also add that there were issues with 9940B PSU & power cables. You sometimes think you have fixed a problem by changing the PSU but the underlying problem is the cable, which you have temp fixed with the plug reseat. Some part numbers of interest are:

314411401 PSU with tendancy to trip out
311582402 PSU with added ON/OFF switch
314411901 PSU cable fixed for tripping out problem
314476701 PSU cable, further improved

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back