Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Storagetek/SUN 9730 Connector Question 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

steevej

IS-IT--Management
Apr 25, 2001
US
My STK 9730 has 2 serial-looking 9-pin, sub-D connectors on the back. I don't remember how they are labeled, but I'm unable to find any Tech-Ref that explains their use/purpose or tells me how to connect. I would try a serial comm programm (Putty, Hyperterm, ProComm...) but don't want to 'smoke' it ;-) I am pretty sure both are MALE.

Can anyone help?
PDF, Tech Manual, Exploded-view, schematic, URL?

Thanks!

I know the one on the left is the de-bug connector and the one on the right is the CSE connector. I'll look through my notes and see if I have more info.
Andy

Thx. I am awaiting your findings... and what I can do with the info and How to do it ;-)

They are both serial connections. From the rear, the one to the left is the factory debug port, and the one to the right is the field engineers port. You use 8 bits no parity no flow control and (i think) 38000 baud but maybe 9600, it was a long time ago I last worked on the 9730.

From the port you can do some handy things like empty out the FSC log, but not having the use of it is no show stopper, as you can do most things from the front panel.

Can one, utilizing either of these main ports, access, dump and upgrade the 9730 to handle SDLT drives? - I dunno... Maybe grab ROM code, hack it and re-write/upload to the box? (I am an Electronics Engineer too and quite good with this type stuff)

This used, Ebay-sale STK9730 is no longer under any maint or support agreement(s) which means I can do what I want with it, right? I just need some techie-help to get going. I have managed, without any books, tech info, diagrams, schematics, parts (new or fact refurb)... managed to get the robotics repaired, adjusted and working, and scraped together and installed 4 good drives - so it is working. 1.8TB online

Mine is LVD/SE and I am using a Symbios 16-bit card to drive it, but it won't let me use 40Mb/sec setting. Wouls an Ultra 160 or 320 LVD card improve throughput?

No Support means.. Hard to find anything on this (now discontinued and unsupported) item. aka:Rough life ;-)

Any help, tips, tech-material, manuals, parts, etc. appreciated.

What you suggest to improve drive support might be possible but that would require use of the debugger port which was entirely undocumented, even to STK field engineers. However, with the last ever code release (2.00.03 which replaced 1.07.00), it DID SUPPORT super DLT220 BRC drives. Originally it was just DLT4K and DLT7K. The interface was never improved though so it's SCSI-2, but you can select HVD or SE. For improved throughput put each drive on its own SCSI channel.

All...
First, thx alot for your input help and assistance. I am grateful for the info you provided BUT still cannot find a site that provides replacement cabinet parts for my P1000 unit. I need Front Bezel, Left and Right doors, rear filter assy (top and bottom) along with covers. The duct-tape isn't pretty, but is functional for keeping the doors in place and alarm off ;-)

For the STK9730, I'd like a bit more info on where to obtain the (any) latest FW upgrade(s). Mine has 4-DLT7000 drives and 27Bays and I would like to eventually update it to handle SDLT-type devices of any capacity. Without a STK/SUN agreement in place, where can I get code release (2.00.03 which replaced 1.07.00)?

Thx!

The 9730 was only designed to work with DLT4000 & DLT 7000.
You would need to find someone who can modify the firmware to allow SDLTs to be used. Also you may have to modify the mounting trays as well. It sounds as though you would be better to try and get a 9738 library. This is the same physical size(almost) and can take 9840 tape drives. But if you want to stick with 9730 you are basically tied to DLT 7000s. If it is spares you require I can supply all you need.

I've done some asking about and the StorageTek part number for a 9730 compatible SDLT is 3137231xx. The xx is the firmware level, the highest being V94 which is part number 313723111. The 9730 version of the SDLT has a load handle which allows the robot to operate the drive.

9730 literature never did mention anything better than the DLT 7000, so the SDLT must have come on the scene right at the end of the production life. Even the 2.00.03 release notes only mention the DLT7000, so maybe the SDLT will work with 1.7 ????????

I would ask STK brokers in your locale if they can get you a second user SDLT drive of the above part number (the last two digits are usually not critical). If it turns out you need the code then ask the broker, or an authorised repairer, or Sun, for it. The part number is: 308392013, EC 111308, FB62239, 2.00.03 9730 Firmware

OK! Appears we are getting somewhere with this afterall. I will ask around - first I have to find Denver-based STK brokers tho' ;-)
Still need those parts for my 'other' DLT Library (the ATL-P1000 or SUN L1000) so if anyone can help, it is much appreciated.

Check with Chuck at Pinetree Peripherals, in Longmont CO....(303)776-5066. Tell him Andy referred you from the Tek-Tips site.

Andy

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back