Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

StorageTek 9840 How to make a FUP tape

Status
Not open for further replies.

Vicgonz

Technical User
May 11, 2007
ES
Hello everybody

I need upgrade a T9840A Fiber chanel, how can i make a FUP tape?

Thank you and Regards.

If I am not mistaken, a FUP is a firmware Update Tape?
This is a blank tape, to which you have previously saved the desired firmware code to previously. You may need to isolate a single drive in order to create this file.

Next you pick the drive that you want to apply the update to and push the SELECT button on it for more than 6 seconds which puts it in FW Update Tape Load mode. Insert the tape which contains the FW code into the tapedrive that you want to update, manually close the loadlever, and the drive will autoread and load the FW into its FLASH memory. When it is done, it will autoeject said tape and you're done.

Now, my problem... whic you may or may not be able to help with: My storagetek 9730 is no longer seen from the SCSI bus. All individual drives and the robotic funtionality are OK, but the library cannot talk to the servers SCSI card (Symbios LVD/SE). I desperately need help in the form of a tech manual or schematic for the I/O board.
Thanks

The 9840 code tape can only be made from a drive that is in FULL code mode. Go to the drive configuration menu, and scroll through until you see full code? and toggle the Y for yes. Then scroll through until save/ipl comes up and hit select. After IPL, go to the drive menu and scroll to make data tape, hit select. Load your blank tape and wait for it to be set for data tape, it will eject. Then, scroll to make code tape, hit select, and load the data tape.
If this doesn't work, you need to have a drive that had code updated while it was in full code mode to create a code tape. Then, to update from a code tape, go to drive menu, and select IPL from tape. Load you code tape and the op panel should say processing. It will eject when done.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back