Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Storagetek 9730 setup probs

Status
Not open for further replies.

adamx12

IS-IT--Management
May 5, 2004
US
Attempting to get this 9730 working with little luck so far. The unit has 1 35/70 drive, attached to a 2944UW card with diff. terminator, windows 2k server. The problem so far has been having this unit and/or drive seen on the scsi chain. I've tried directly attaching the scsi cable to the drive avoiding the internal scsi, configured the drive to id=1, off lib with no luck. Also the other way into the 9730 and then to the drive without luck either. The unit has no errors, sometimes but I think there related to the theta, I power off & on or system reset and it's fine. The only other concern I have is the scsi cable, I'm not sure whether it's a truly a diff scsi cable. I would think the adaptec card would notice the 9730 on the chain regardless if a drive was installed which it's not. Any thoughts on the setup or something specific with a single drive? I've checked all the internal connections throughout and nothing was lose. Any diagnostics besides the panel?

Also concerning the theta/zmotor mechanism, is their any maintenance required like lubrication w/fine oil?

After some more research I found a similar situation.

I've used 3 different cables(68m-68m), 2 different 2944UW adapters with no luck. Now finding a few diff cables without spending a fortune. Was there any special settings on the adaptec card that could be a factor?

You may need to check to see if the 9730 is jumpered for Diff SCSI. Just inside the back door on the main board you will see a set of jumpers. Make sure the 9730 is set for Diff SCSI, and as well are the DLT drives.

Jumper J12 was set for SING, I changed the jumper to DIFF and switched the internal scsi cable from J15S -> J15D but that didn't help. I still see nothing on the adaptec scsi chain when I boot up. I'm powering the 9730 first through it's diagnostics then power up the server. I would think the 9730 would show up in the adaptec scsi chain unless there is something misconfigured beyond the default settings.

The only jumper found enabled on the DLT drive is the one for TERMPWR. The drive is a Quantum th6xe-te which I think is a differential drive. Did I miss a jumper somewhere?

I have an old Buslogic BT-958 card I'm considering trying and switch everything back to Single ended, hopefully this wouldn't blow up anything.

The drive you have in the Library is a SE drive. Although you have changed the Lib to Diff, it will not work with a SE drive now. You need to change the Lib back to SE, get a SE terminator and buy a SE SCSI host adapter and all should work fine.

tapedrivedoctor was right, thank you very much.

Switched everything back to SING mode, used a buslogic scsi card with the correct SE terminator and it worked. Definitely have to be using the proper terminator.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back