Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

StorageTek 9730 Media Questions

Status
Not open for further replies.

sjarrell

IS-IT--Management
Jan 30, 2004
US
Several questions:

1. I have 10 DLT IV tapes in a 9730 that has 2 DLT7000 drives in it. When I try to scan or inventory the tapes, I get a "The job failed with the following error: Library error - incompatible storage media detected in robotic library." Any idea why? I'm using the latest Veritas 9.1 Server backup software with Windows 2003.

2. All of the tapes have bar code labels, and the labels are recognized in the "Slots" view in the Veritas software. I do have a cleaning tape installed in slot 7 (actually the 8th slot) but it doesn't have a bar code label. This slot doesn't seem to appear at all in the Veritas software. I'm assuming this is ok as the cleaning will be done at the hardware level.... is this correct?

3. Are the scanner lights supposed to stay on constantly, even when a bar code scan isn't taking place?

4. In the Veritas backup software, how do you get the tapes that show up under Devices - Slots to show up on the Media screen? (Perhaps when problem 1 is fixed, #4 goes away as well?)

Thanks!

Steve

I hope someone can help.. I have the same issue, Vertitas 9.1, ADIC Scalar 100 with 2x DLT8000's. This library worked flawlessly on my 'other' network with Legato and it's been retired to use on a smaller server here and I am getting the incompatable media errors too..

Hi Steve,
in the first instance, try removing the bar code labels from the tapes and doing an inventory again. You have to look in the library to see if it is failing at a specific tape.

Ok so maybe it's just me but.. In the directions for Bar Code Rules it says to set the brand of the tape drive in the rule set under 'vendor'. Well I found online it says to use the library brand name. So mine was set to "QUANTUM". I changed it to "ADIC" and it works, sort of..

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back