Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

StorageTek 9730 and DLT7000 Woes

Status
Not open for further replies.

steevej

IS-IT--Management
Apr 25, 2001
US
I bought a Storagetek 9730 library recently which was packed well, but arrived inop. The problem was the robotic counterweight had not been isolated and locked for transport, and the band snapped.

I fixed that, plugged in the Tek and waited until all activity ceased, then I saw that 2 of the 4 7000 are not communicating, 1 has all lights on its LEFT side *facing the drive) flashing. The other has the bottom 3 lit steady, then all go out.

I think the norm is 4 beeps and both sides light, the RIGHT side each per beep, then the drive POST and all go out but 1 on the right side. The leaders are threaded and OK, SCSI is correct (LVD/SE) and terminated - total cable length does not exceed 10feet, but they won't come on line.

I tried cleaning (5x each) to no avail. What could be wrong? and how difficut and how much to repair? I also have a 3d standalone drive with the "All lights flashing" problem.

Lastly... How do I test the I/O board on the Tek9730? The Symbios LVD/SE card sees it (and 2 drives) at boot time, but Windows sees only the controller and drives. (??)

p.s. I bought this library to get Multi-Drive and Robotic Tape Admin Certified. So far, all I have is a library that won't respong to SCSI commands and 2 bad drives....

If you have a drive with leds across the bottom, then it's not a DLT7000. Is it a SDLT?

No, it is a DLT7000. I wrote: 1 (drive) has all lights on its LEFT side *facing the drive) flashing. The other has the bottom 3 lit steady, then all go out. THe lights are down each of the 2 front sides ;-)

Are you sure that your DLT 7000 are Single ended. Are they not Differential. If your drives are definately S/E is the controller set to S/E? If the lights on the right hand side looking at the front of the drive it is usually the leader has come off or is broken. Left hand lights all on is normally an indication that the main board on the DLT is at fault.

Where are you located? I can probably help you if you are reasonbly local to New Jersey.

Colorado. Too far away for a stop-by I am sure, although I do make a great cup of coffee ;-)

In the meantime, I also bought a P1000 (now SUN L1000) with 4 4 DLT-7000 drives and 30 empty tape bays. It too arrived damaged but I managed to fix it (bent H and V traverse bars and Tape Cart sensor was derailed)

A clean and lube and good to go (albeit with a busted front bezel and L and R door hinges, smashed in SCSI connectors, rear base-filter cover and ...) But it work(ed).

I filed a claim, FedEx came by, took it away for eval and then SENT it back to the place I bought it!!!. Another flurry of calls and $200 later, and it is back - but again busted worse than before so I am fixing it too now (a bit of a techie and MrFix I am - actually I can fix anything)

Also bought 2ea used/no guarantee DLT7000 for the P1000 and 2 for the Stk 9730 so the 'All lights on" problem is resolved, but the CLEAN ME light on 2 of the drives (1 in each robotic unit) keep coming on and wore out the 2 cleaning tapes I had - so whats up with that?? They HAVE to be clean ;-) Any ideas?

Also... Please, Anyone out there have or know of a source where I can get new front bezel and door(s)parts for the P1000/L1000 cheap?

Thanks!

If the cleaning tapes are used up the light will not go out on the DLT. The tape itself is updated every time it is loaded into a drive. When its threshold is reached, the drive will not update it's cleaning counter. I would try a new clean tape. If that doesn't work, then the drive has write/read issues.

Andy

Steve, did you get sorted.....?

Flashing lights down one side of a DLT 7000 is terminal. End of story. Most likely a main board failure and you will not get an SCSI response until you fix it. You will need to find someone who can repair. I can help if required on that front. The one that has 3 lights at the bottom and then they all go out sounds confusing... sounds like an SDLT. More info?

Andy,
No - not sorted ;-) Have not been back on the ATL-P1000 since it's return from FedEx for shipment damages (what a mess) and the STK was moved at the behest of wifey, to the basement where it is sitting, waiting for server and LAN reconnect - another yet-to-be-done project: Wiring the house for Gb-E.

Previously, I bought replacement drives for the two confirmed bad ones and have been swapping parts on the 3d to get it working. - Robbing parts from two to hopefully fix the 3rd. I need DLT-IV cleaning tapes so if anyone has some??

Again, appreciate your help and will dive into them again this weekend to get more inf on the last remaining faults... or to finally fix. Am also trying to get 2 Jeeps fixed and finish out some wall unit construction in bedroom (all DIY natch)

Anyone need a good IT/Electronics AND Carpenter/Tech?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back