Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

StorageTek 9310/9330 LMU

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chris969404

Technical User
Oct 6, 2006
US
I believe the StorageTek LMU 9330-002 is a pure Unix based LMU. Can any one please advise me on how many TCP/IP addresses can be selected on this LMU and does anyone have manuals relating to the 9330-002 LMU I am willing to pay for those manuals. I need to know how to set up the 16 TCP/IP addresses.
Many thanks in anticipation

chris,

The 9330 does not support TCP/IP as standard. It is a field upgrade and requires an ethernet card in the leftmost slot in the cardcage, and an upgraded CPU card, and TCP/IP LMU microcode.

If you have this upgrade you can have up to 16 IP addresses.
Is this going to be on ACSLS or HSC?

regards,

Thank you STKman. I have recently found this was marketed with the SUN L5500 machine. I also have found
LMB card this is the card allowing connection to IBM 3272/3274

LMT card replaces the LMB card for TCP/IP connections (again 4 connections per card) max of four LMT cards per box.

LMP card is used in the 9339 when connecting to IBM 3272/3274

LBQ card replaces the LMP card in the TCP/IP box

So now I am looking into the software upgrade. Many thanks for your help
Regards Chris

Chris,

I think you might be wrong about the four connections per LMT. A single LMT, I am sure, is all you need for all 16 IP addresses.

If I understand you correctly, you don't currently have the LMT in the machine, the host connection is via an LMB. If that is the case you are in trouble. The box will be internally licensed (a certificate on the 9330 hard drive) for 4 connections. you MUST have a 16 port license for TCP/IP to work at all.

I Think this is going to be ACSLS but I am waiting to hear from the end user as to what they have got at present they want 16 TCP/IP addresses and that is about all they have told me at present
Chris

Yes I agree with what you are saying, I am trrying to get to the bottom of the story from the customer.
They will have to apply for the licence from SUN/STK if that is what they really want.
Many thanks
Chris

Chris,

I Thought I might add that if your end user has 9310's or L5500's then they are not a corner shop and would be best to get STK to come in and do the whole thing. They will have to get onsite anyway to do the LMU part as the LMU reconfig/license update is an engineering function, not a customer one. If the box is (or will be) on STK maintenance then the work may well be free.

Are you in Europe? There are alternatives to STK for the maintenance which will save ££££££££££££££'s

regards,
STKMAN

No I am in the USA (NJ) we do Automatic Library maintenance and this has been a question from one of our potential customers. I do Strip and rebuild 9310 systems for my sins as well as many other types. The customer is a bit reluctant to give us the full story. If we do not get the info we need we will probably "kick them into touch" as it too difficult working with someone like that who does not say what they are trying to do.
Many thanks for you input much appreciated.
Chris

HI STKMAN are you sure there is a licencing issue when going to 16 TCP/IP addresses on the 9330 Unix box

Chris,

The customer has to pay for interface ports. They are not free. If the customer wants two interfaces for example, a single LMB with 4 ports is installed and the STK engineer will type in a password which will license and enable two of them. This process is known within STK as the GETKEY. The install process for TCP/IP states that the 9330 MUST be updated to allow the maximum of 16 ports, as the ethernet card requires 16 ports. You can use TCP/IP concurrently with 3270 but you would divvy out the 16 ports, ie 12 for the ethernet card and 4 for the coax card, so that the customer can do a migration process.

That is why I wanted to know if the ethernet card was already in the machine. If it is, then the 16 ports will be enabled already.

cheers,

STKman.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back