Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Storage Tek L20 drive not seen 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

santhas

Technical User
Aug 27, 2003
AU
Dear Tape gurus,

I have a STK L20 attached to SUN v240 (LVD SCSI). Tape drive cannot seen by the server. It can see the L20 but not the tape drive ( LTO2). STK is set to scsi id 5 and nothing else attached to that server. Have proper trminators put in.

Thanks in advance.
San

What does the L20 operator panel have to say about the tape drive? Go in the ops panel menu and select drive information. Then curser over the drive and press Select. A common problem is that the L20 has not written a SCSI id back to the drive, so that field says SCSI id....Invalid. If the drive reports back its vendor, SCSI id, Firmware level etc and you can read all this on the L20 panel then the drive is set up OK. If this does not resolve your problem then post more info an I will try to help further.

Helpful info would include the L20 firmware version and the drive type, generation, and firmware version.

Sorry, by drive type I mean HP, IBM, Seagate...etc

I managed OS to see the JB and drive :
scsidev@2.1.0:IBM ULTRIUM-TD2 4770|Tape
S/N: 1110260697
ATNN:IBM ULTRIUM-TD2 1110260697
scsidev@2.5.0:STK L20 0211|Autochanger (Jukebox)
S/N: LLC51000886

But when I run jbconfig I get:
jbconfig: error, Jukebox reported '0' drive(s)

Also I don't see any drive info on the L20 pannel.

Thanks

The OS sees L20 and drive so all is OK with the SCSI host connection. Your problem is with the serial connection between the L20 and the drive. Open the tape drive door at the rear of the L20 and check all drive connectors are plugged into the LTO correctly. For the library to work this serial connection between L20 and drive MUST work. You have to see the LTO details under "drive info" when navigating the ops panel.

If all the cables seem to be correctly fitted, then move the LTO to the other drive bay and see if it gets picked up in the other bay.

Has this configuration ever worked? Is this an LTO you have aquired from elsewhere and fitted it into the library? Both LTO and L20 must be running compatible STK flavour firmware.

Thanks STKman,

I opened up the L20 and connected all cables. Now L20 can see the drive but can't recon the drive. When select the drive info on the pannel I see:
SCSI ID : invalid
On Bus Status: on
Vendor: ????

It has never been used ( to my knowledge). I want to use this for migration purpose. We have production backup on L700e managed by Legato. I am setting this one for Legato restore purpose as we are moving from Legato to Veritas.

Thanks again for your valuable time.

San

You're slowly getting there. SCSI id invalid is quite common when a drive is first fitted. You need to go into drive configuration menu and set the drive scsi id from there and then power cycle the L20. If it still comes back with unknown drive then firmware is almost deff the problem.

Your STK L20 is 2.11. The current is 2.15
I don't have notes for 2.11 so I don't know if it supports LTO-2.

Your IBM LTO-2 is scsi id 1 with 4770 firmware which is OK,
but there is an STK flavour of 4770 for use in STK libraries. Just a thought but do you have IBM LTO-2 SCSI on the L700e? You can make up a firmware tape and load it into the L20 LTO-2 to see if this fixes the problem.

Hi STKman,

Today I uploaded release 2.15 thru CSE port and JB can see the drive as IBM LTO-2 and assigned scsi-id 13. But now OS (Solrais 8 ) can't see the drive. OBP (ok prompt) can see it as:

/pci@1c,600000/scsi@2,1
Target 5
Unit 0 Removable Device type 8 STK L20 0215
Target d
Unit 0 Removable Tape IBM ULTRIUM-TD2 4770

It means am I missing drivers for LTO 2?
jbconfig fails as it can't see the tape drive.

Thanks for your time again.
San

San,

You want to go back into L20 drive config menu and set the LTO scsi id to something like 4, then make sure the the OBP picks up targets at 4 + 5. Then you need to fix the Solaris side.

I'm a hardware engineer and my Solaris knowledge could be written on the back of a stamp, but I know that you have to get the LTO-2 strings in your st.conf file exactly right with correct spaces between characters etc.

Once you have done that, perform a boot -r

I did try to change the scsi-id thru drive-config option on the LCD pannel, but didn't accept it (reverting back to 13). JB scsi-id is set to 5.

Thanks again

OK, Finally got it workig:

I can't cahnge the scsi-id of the Drive, but enabled wide scsi support in the kernel (st.conf to support scsi ids >6). OS ( after reconfigure reboot) build the device paths in /dev/rmt and I was able to run jbconfig. But haven't tested it with a tape drive yet.

Good news.

If I remember correcly, the 4 SCSI address jumpers on the rear of an LTO should be all in, which is 15. This tells the LTO that the SCSI address can be over-ridden by a library panel. However, if it's now working then best just leave it the way it is.

STKman

Hi STKMan,

When I load the tape from cap to tape drive I get the following error, any ideas?

nsrjb: Jukebox error: Mon 15:18:14 Hardware Error, Diagnostic Failure on Component 0x01

Thanks
San

Doess the L20 work in every other respect, mounts dismounts etc? If so, and only the CAP operationn fails, check ops panel config to see if cap IS a cap and not set up as an ordinary storage slot.

JBverify also failing
Summary report of jbverify
======= ====== == ========

Hostname Device Handle Blocksize Jukebox Drv No. Status
-------- ------------- --------- ------- ------- ------
backup002 /dev/rmt/0hbn N/A STK-L20 1 Fail

Exiting jbverify successfully.

santhas,

Sorry im not familiar with jbverify and don't know what it requires or tries to do. I suppose it's something like robtest in Veritas which can load a tape into a drive and verify the library works online. The L20 power up does not test that it can grab a cartridge and replace it. Does demo mode from L20 ops panel work at least?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back