Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

storage server 2003 map drive issue

Status
Not open for further replies.

GStenning

IS-IT--Management
Feb 7, 2002
GB
Please help. We have just introduced a windows 2003 storage server and transferred all the users folder to it.
We have amended the login script to map U: /Home and changed all AD users to point to the new location \\storage1\users\"user name". The problem is that certain users when logging on lose this connection and only connect \\storage1\users. This is a random loss of connection but a frustrating one. We have forced disconnection from the PC to rule out persitent mapping. Any thoughtd. Cheers

Can you post your logon script here?

-------------------------------

If it doesn't leak oil it must be empty!!

net use s: \\storage1\shared
net use u: /home
net time \\Server1 /set /yes

Thanks

Try
net use u: \\storage1\users\%username%

-------------------------------

If it doesn't leak oil it must be empty!!

I've found that on our server 2003 fileserver that NT clients can only map a drive to the root of a share. For instance, coming from Netware all our stuff's in Vol1, with user directories in vol1\users\%username%\

Migrating that to Win2k3, we would have to have the vol1\users\%username%\ folder setup as its own share to map a drive to it. The alternative is to setup and map \vol1\users\ as a root share and let the user navigate to the \%username%\ folder on their own.

I can't claim that is the actual problem, but it sounds like it could be a problem for some, and I've not seen that behavior documented anywhere.

Thanks for the replies. We have changed switched off the home folder direction in AD for the user and created the new script containing the %username% mappings. So far so so good! Thanks again.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back