Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Storage (SAN) Architecture

Status
Not open for further replies.

psbstives

IS-IT--Management
Dec 3, 2004
US
Hi

I am doing my first piece of 'architecture' type work for a SAN deployment, using HDS technology, but I am lacking some of the basic knowledge to speak well on this....

My understanding is as follows:
Install disk shelves into the SAN chassis
Configure Disks at Hardware level into RAID groups (e.g. 4+1 RAID5 sets)
This is where my understanding is flawed, I have heard that you need to configure 'LUNs' - and some colleagues have said these should range from 9-18GB typically for Wintel/UNIX systems.... However
What dictates this?
And if a system needs a 'volume' of 100GB - how would the LUNs be pieced together so the server can see 100GB

Hope that makes sense, and someone can offer some views!

Thanks

hmmm, you need some learning first.. this could be a basic question, but anyway, I didn't know it before studying it...

A LUN is the logical disk that will be presented to the hosts. The size of the LUNs will depend on the storage array brand, but ussualy it could support from 1 MB to 2 TB (as I said, brand dependant).

I recommend you to visit
and search for the following:

-SAN
- RAID
- LUN
- Zonning
- LUN Masking
- Fabric

What type of HDS array,,,,Is it the Freedom Lightning 9900 series??? If so, you if you use Storage Navigator, you can use the LUSE utility to tie your LUNS together...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back