Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Storage Quotas By security group

Status
Not open for further replies.

mcswensen

MIS
Mar 17, 2008
US
Does anyone know if its possible to set quotas by group?

i have a hundred or so users on my exchange 2007 server. is it possible to assign storage quotas at different levels? lets say....

Users get X MB
Managers get Y MB
Executives get Z MB

the users are already created so i was hoping to create a group and then assign the users to that group to apply the storage quotas instead of going into each user individually.

also is there a way to forcefully clean old items from a mailbox? for instance delete the oldest item when they reach their limits?

You could certainly use PowerShell to set the limits by querying the groups for their members, and they updating the mailboxes. You'd have to watch out for people who are in multiple groups (I realize that's not likely going to happen, but....).

Look at Messaging Records Management for ways to purge data from Exchange. But - without some sort of archiving solution, I wouldn't want to be arbitrarily killing off data just because it's old. There's no way to determine business value based on age of a message.

Pat Richard MVP
Plan for performance, and capacity takes care of itself. Plan for capacity, and suffer poor performance.

gotcha. thanks so much for the info. i will start looking for powershell info. I have never used powershell. i guess MS website should have a primer on it right? do you know of any good resources for learning it short of a powershell for dummy's book.

thanks again for the help

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back