Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Storage location for password

Status
Not open for further replies.

joeb5110

Technical User
May 8, 2009
US
We have a G3 (I don't have the exact version available) on which someone changed the password and didn't share it.
That's fine, we replaced the pbx with IPT. We have another pbx that suffered a calamity after a power outage, and
I want to raid the lost-password pbx for parts. My question is: will I be able to use the control cards, or is the
password coded on one of them and therefore unusable to me? The cards I want to pilfer are TN790B and TN794.
The circumstance is that the flash card on the current system now shows as being unformatted. I want to see if it's just
the control cards not reading the flash. It's worth a shot, otherwise this system is toast and will be replaced.
Any help is appreciated.

The boards can be swapped, only the login(s) to administer the system translations on the CF card are affected by the lost password.

However, if the system is not coming up after the power event then I would guess that your translations are toast.

Thank you for the quick response. I wasn't sure anyone even reads the forums for old pbx's any more.
I'm mostly certain that the translations are gone forever. I'm not convinced even a little bit that
swapping cards will help, but we owe our customer a half-hearted attempt to restore the system.
One of their own Avaya experts didn't tell me not to bother, so I'm guessing there's a shot.

If your hardware on the system is good, it will boot with default generic software if no flash card is
inserted or it is not seen. No translations will load. Generic software is loaded.
At login: prompt you can login with craft password is craft01.

You can see what software version is on the tn790B and you can also insert the flash card and do
Command: status card
This will show what timestamp is on the translations and announcements are on the flashcard.

Your flashcard may be good and can be read and loaded with other processor complex cards. If it does not load anything,
watch the SAT terminal as it is loading to see what hardware may be failing.

A great teacher does not provide answers, but methods to teach others "How and where to find the answers"

bsh

49 years Bell, AT&T, Lucent, Avaya
Tier 3 for 39 years and counting
[URL unfurl="true"]http://bshtele.com[/url]

I did watch the system boot up and it appears that all but the last steps pass.
The last message is off the screen before I can read it and since the data doesn't buffer
I can't scroll back to read it.
I did do a status of the card, it shows "unformatted". It doesn't say not present, and
I don't know if there is such a status. I only know that no translations load.
We've requested a TN794 from a decommissioned pbx and will give that a try. Failing that,
the pbx will be abandoned and the location converted to IPT. This is always what the customer
does in this circumstance.
I may try formatting the card and rebuilding a base configuration but that is out of scope
and expectations.
Thanks for the reply.

Your flash card may have issues being read on this system.
Check to see if they have more than one flash card.
Enable write protect on the card before inserting it in this system or another system
while testing readability.

Data on flash cards does not usually get wiped unless it is unplugged while there is a yellow
led lighted on the tn794.

Formatting the flashcard will certainly wipe it out, which I would not recommend.

Did you try to login with craft craft01 when you watched it boot from the SAT?

Command: list configuration software (shows software version, in memory and on flashcard)

A great teacher does not provide answers, but methods to teach others "How and where to find the answers"

bsh

49 years Bell, AT&T, Lucent, Avaya
Tier 3 for 39 years and counting
[URL unfurl="true"]http://bshtele.com[/url]

We provide remote support, can't view the SAT, that's if there even is one.
There are no spare cards. I requested a flash card and a TN794 from an old system no longer in use but it will never be shipped.
This is the environment I work in. With all this in mind, we've started planning the installation of voip phones.

SOFTWARE VERSIONS
SPE_A SPE_B

UPDATE FILE
Creation (GMT) Date: none
Old Version: none
Old Identifier: none
New Identifier: none
Update State: none in memory

SOFTWARE VERSION
Memory Resident: G3V8i.04.0.046.5
Mem Card Resident: card err
Update Identifier: none