Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

storage device is busy - The driver detected a controller error on \De

Status
Not open for further replies.

hastur

IS-IT--Management
Oct 29, 2001
US
I tried to make a small back up and was unable to do so.
I then tried to format a tape, and it came back every time with "storage device is busy."
It seems to me that it is not communication correctly with the tape device.
Plus it has an error in the event log saying
"The driver detected a controller error on \Device\Tape0."

Using NT 4.0
with backup exec

There are many possibilities here and I'm going to make an assumption that you're dealing with SCSI eqipment by the error.

First, if it's an external SCSI drive, check cables and terminator.

Second, if it's an external SCSI drive, power down the server, power down the external drive. Wait a minute, then power on the external tape drive then power on the server.

Third, run a tape cleaning cartridge through the drive 3 times.

Fourth, try a brand new tape

Fifth, check SCSI card configuration and look for IRQ conflicts with other peripherals.

Sixth, check device chain termination and ID settings as well as the configuration settings for the tape drive in scsi card's config software. Check the tape drive's manual for details and the vendor's website for hints.

Seventh, confirm that you're using the correct drivers for the SCSI Card and that you're using BENT's tape device drivers.

Eighth, Contact tape vendor for support.

Best of luck,

Jeff

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back