Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Storage Capacity readouts accross vendors and what they mean.

Status
Not open for further replies.

collective7

Technical User
Mar 12, 2003
US
I have a project you all may be able to help me with.

I trying to create a table where the top players of storage vendors are listed and along side them will be some terminology reconsiliation around the area of storage capacity measurements. The problem is I dont have access to all of those different point tools to get the info myself.

If you are a hands on storage administrator, you can easily help me in 2 steps.

#1 Tell me what your standard (default) tool is to manage storage

Example:

EMC Clariion = Navisphere,
EMC Symm = Solutions Enabler,
HP XP Array = Command View, etc.
.. for whatever your storage vendor happens to be.

Then and lastly, what does this tool tell you about your storage capacity?

For example: Command View XP shows: (on the Total Device view)

Allocated LDEV capacity: ####GB
Unallocated LDEV capacity: ####GB
Reserved capacity: ####GB
On-Demand capacity: ####GB

Ultimately I want to disect what each one of these means for each vendor. Like, for example the numers above are for formatted LDEVs but other vendors may show Raw storage capacity, what does allocated mean to each vendor if applicable, what does mapped mean to each vendor if applicable. Etc. You get the idea. There are a lot of terms that mean the same thing accross vendors and there are things that are vendor specific. I would like to identify all such things and present them in an organized manner.

WHATS IN IT FOR YOU?

I will make an exel spreadsheet with this information once organized and I will share it with everyone who responds and anyone else who wants it.

Please send any input you may have and wish to contribute to FallEquinox at Gmail dot com and thanks in advanced!

C7

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back