Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Stopping reports in 8.5

Status
Not open for further replies.
Dec 11, 2000
GB
I have been in contact with Crystal through our support package and have been given a stupid answer to a problem that I have. I would like any views or comments that anybody has.

I have found that stopping a running job using either ePortfolio or the admin tools clears the job from the list of running jobs, but the jobserverchild process is not ended. If you try to end process via task manager you get an access denied error (logged on as domain admin).

As a result of this the job server metrics are not cleared. This can result in the max number of jobs being reached even though there are no jobs running, and therefore no more jobs can run!!

The only way around this is to reboot the server but this is hardly practical in a live production environment.

The official Crystal response is that it's supposed to work that way!!

I just wondered if anybody else has experienced this, or what they think of the official word from Crystal??

Steve

I have the same problem. Our financial reports take a couple hours each and if I run one with a bad parameter, I just have to "wait it out". I can't believe CD's reponse is that is how it is supposed to work.

Hello:

Well, the official response from Crystal Tech Support is correct. The Job server is design to work this way, if the job server experiences a GPF or similar crash, the framework will restart it and the jobserverchild in which at this time is working semi-independently will continue working until it's done with the report. This system decreases report failures, in which is a good thing. In the case you want to stop a particular jobserverchild, you cant do it from the Task Manager, but you can use applications like sysinternals.com pskill.exe or you can reboot =)

I'm really surprised, and I don't believe that Crystal TS did not recommended the kill.exe tool, but anyhow let me know if this work.

Domitri

My apologies for leaving it out (I was trying to keep it brief), but they did recommend using pskill.exe

This works wonderfully, but how do you know which process to kill when there are 20 of them running, all called the same??

Your argument for the process being semi-independant is a good one, but surely Enterprise should have a button to stop reports gracefully in addition to the start, pause, etc buttons alraedy exist?

Steve

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back