Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Stopping LAN Chatting

Status
Not open for further replies.

threedots

IS-IT--Management
Jul 6, 2001
US
Hello. I work in a school, and need to stop student network-based chatting. I've stopped all chats to external servers by port blocking on the firewall. However, I need to stop LAN chat incidents.

Can anyone tell me how to go about doing this?

threedots

What sever OS are you using? If in the Windows 2000-03 server family you can institute Group Policy.

Unix IS user friendly... It's just selective about who its friends are.

By using group policies, you can restrict installation of applications, or execution of programs. Assuming that your network is based on a windows environment.

MSN Messenger will try port 80 when it's original port is blocked (sneaky bugger!). I doubt you blocked port 80, since it's the port for HTTP (browsing). Essentially, nobody would be able to browse the internet any longer.

See Blocking Chat program
thread1117-810210

It explains which IP's you can block to stop MSN Messenger as well as other chat softwares.

"In space, nobody can hear you click..."

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back