Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Stop Windows From Switching from Web Page to WMP Screen 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

xyzuser

Technical User
Aug 13, 2008
US
I have WAV files in my web page. I will not make them "inline" as that can be annoying to people to have it automatically play. I want the visitor to decide if he wants to hear the music and if so click on the JPG (or GIF) and hear the music. But I want that music to be a "background" to the page; i.e. I want the visitor to my site to continue to see and read my web page and not be switched to the WMP screen (or whatever player's screen the visitor has).

Is there anything I can do within my html to keep Windows on my web page when the WAV is selected and not switch the screen to WMP (or whatever player the person is using) so that he/she continues to read my web page while the music plays?

Thank you

There is no universally supported way to play music in a browser. However, with a flash player, you will be able to easy embed a music file on a page and it should play normally for most users.

Just google for [google]free flash audio player[/google] to see many different options.

[small]Do something about world cancer today: Comprehensive cancer control information at PACT[/small]

Thanks Vragabond (and a *). I gather that if I embed one of these small players in the html then my web page will remain on the screen.

Novice question: How do I convert the WAV files to MP3, which these players require? They don't support WAV.

I have found a few flash players but none of them have full step-by-step instuctions as to what parts of the downloaded player go where (there are lots of folders included in each of these downloads), both in absolute terms for themselves as well as in relation to where my base web page and mp3 files are. Nor instructions on how to position these objects on the page where I want the player to be (beneath a particular GIF image I have on the web page)

I have tried to make these work without success. I have even tried copying the site's demo code, using my own url, but all I get, at best, is a white box in place of the button image and no player. I have also tried copying the code from a site listed as a user of the code but that has not helped either. I expect it is all because of where these files are supposed to be on the web server.

I know that experienced people have no problem disecting these and putting them where they belong and making everything work. But is there someplace a novice user like me can go to try to understand how to do this?

These are the players that I have been looking at:

(1) * * button version * *

(2) * * smallest version of player * *

Their documentation is just pieces - they assume the user understands and knows how to "fill in the blanks". Which I'm sure is true for most everyone - except for a novice user such as I am.

I would very much appreciate if someone would be kind enough to further assist me with this.

[A pc novice - the "IT Management" after my userid is there by mistake but there isn't any way to change it]

I worked on this most of today and the button player is now working. It had hard-coded button names that took forever to realize.

I still have a problem lining it up with an iamge on the page but I've put that into a new thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back