Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Stop Viruses

Status
Not open for further replies.

Whaystd

Technical User
Aug 26, 2002
CA
I have though about this one and i think it could work.

As we all know some viruses kill everything, but they go for your system files first.

Now i was wondering if there was some way to partition your hard drive and put your OS on that and totally lock it so to restrict Writing to, or Editing it so that when a virus does come along you still have your os so you have all your tweaks and what not and you dont have to spend a couple hours re-installing.

Looking forward to hearing from you,

Whaystd

talk to M$. People been telling them for years to secure their operating system - they nake gestures, but....

you can't stop writing to the disk or no apps will work, but install W2K to D not C and to something other than winnt or windows. This will minimise problems but not stop them.

Install a decent AV product, not a free one. Update the definitions every day. Set bloodhound or similar to maximum and apply security updates to OS and Office regularly.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back