Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Stop users creating folders

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hellooooooooo

Technical User
Oct 21, 2005
GB
Hello guys,

Were in the middle of totally changing the way that we look after data that we hold on our servers. Our users will no longer be able to create folders on the central storage severs. If then need a folder they will have to contact the "Data Management Team??" so that the folder is named correctly, and the data being placed into the folder is saved correct. This I'm sure will be a nightmare; however I only have to support the hardware and OS, not worry about data. Can anyone give me any pointers for folders settings and options?

Setup = NT4 PDC + BDC's. Win2K Data servers, Win2k pro workstations.

Any ideas would be grand.

Cheers all

Marty

Considering the share permission of Everyone "Full".

Once in the share container, only give the group Everyone "List", and administrators ( and or designated managers) Full, (remove the group "Users").
End result users will not be able to create folders or dump files in the root. Only administrators or designated users will be able to create folders/files. The obvious, each folder created for users access will need file/folder permissions granted for each group (and or user).
More work in the beginning, but keeps volumes from being trashed up by users.

For really sensitive folders, only grant the administrators/designated managers/specific users with necessary permissions, remove Everyone/Users.... no one but administrators/designated managers/specific users will be able see or use the folders or the files within.

Chernobyl disaster..a must see pictorial

You can't do this via permissions because in order for the user to save/edit files, they have to have the read/write authority...which gives them the ability to create folders. Sort of a catch 22.

You can enforce a company policy that users don't create folders...but you can't backup it up via permissions.

I'm Certifiable, not cert-ified.
It just means my answers are from experience, not a book.

Also, folder redirection is out of the question in most scenarios....

-Brandon Wilson
MCSE00/03, MCSA:Messaging00, MCSA03, A+
Manager - Global AD Operations
ACS, Inc.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back