Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Stop the next button creating new record 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Steven811

Technical User
Apr 15, 2004
GB
Hi

My own nav buttons work well with the exception of the next button. I only want it to go to current records and not past them as I have another button for that function.

How would I modify the code?

Here is what I currently use:

[Private Sub cmdGotoNext_Click()
On Error GoTo cmdGotoNext_Click_Err

Screen.PreviousControl.SetFocus
DoCmd.GoToRecord , "", acNext

Thanks

Steven811

One version, could be to add the following test:

[tt]DoCmd.GoToRecord , , acNext
if me.newrecord then DoCmd.GoToRecord , , aclast[/tt]

Else you could also toggle the .AllowAdditions property of the form

Roy-Vidar

How about...

In the forms OnCurrent event, check to see if you are viewing the last record in the recordset and disable the Next button.

Randy

randy700,

How do you check to see if you are viewing the last record in order to disable the Next button?

You could use EOF to check, but I think personally its easier to set the forms allowadditions property to false, and then just change it programmatically with a button if you need to add records. Seems the easiest method.

How do you check to see if you are viewing the last record
You may try something like this :
Me.RecordsetClone.MoveLast
If Me.RecordsetClone.Bookmark = Me.Bookmark Then...

Hope This Helps, PH.
Want to get great answers to your Tek-Tips questions? Have a look at FAQ219-2884 or FAQ222-2244

First, thanks for your reply - I love these forums!

Do I need any special references or libraries to use the RecordsetClone syntax??? I don't think so, but when I put it in the code (below) I get an error message:

Run-time error '13':
Type mismatch

Code:
    If IsNull(TaxID.Value) Then
        MsgBox "You must enter a Tax ID for this record first.", vbInformation, "Enter Tax ID:"
        TaxID.SetFocus
        Exit Sub
    Else
        Me.RecordsetClone.MoveLast
        [yellow][b]If Me.RecordsetClone.Bookmark = Me.Bookmark Then[/b][/yellow]
            MsgBox "There are no more records to view." & vbNewLine _
& vbNewLine & "If you want to create a new record click on the add " _
& "record button." & vbNewLine & "Otherwise click the Close Form to exit.", vbExclamation, "No More Records:"
        Else
            DoCmd.GoToRecord , , acNext
        End If
    End If

The line that is highlighted in the debugger is the following:

If Me.RecordsetClone.Bookmark = Me.Bookmark Then

I would appreciate any tips you could offer to get this working.

I would try something like this:

[tt]me.recordsetclone.movelast
if me.recordsetclone.recordcount=me.currentrecord then[/tt]

I haven't tested this thoroughly, I guess perhaps a test for me.newrecord might fit in? If this doesn't work, perhaps elaborate on which event you're using.

Roy-Vidar

RoyVidar,

That works beautifully! I'm not entirely sure why that line works and the other doesn't, but am happy that I finally have something that will work...

If you or anyone has the time and would care to elaborate on the differences between the two line of code (below), I would find it intersting.

Code:
This line did not work:
[b]If Me.RecordsetClone.Bookmark = Me.Bookmark Then[/b]

This line does work:
[b]If Me.RecordsetClone.RecordCount = Me.CurrentRecord Then[/b]

Thanks again and a star for you --

[blue]If you or anyone has the time and would care to elaborate on the differences between the two line of code [/blue]
Well . . . . right off the top:
Code:
[blue]        Me.RecordsetClone.MoveLast
        If Me.RecordsetClone.Bookmark = Me.Bookmark Then[/blue]
should've worked. The fact that it didn't tells me you [blue]Access Version[/blue] is 2k or higher. [purple]ADO[/purple] (ActiveX Data Objects) was introduced in 2K and will be in conflict with [purple]DAO[/purple] (Data Access Objects) unless a reference object is explicitly specified. The following should work:
Code:
[blue]   Dim rst As [purple][b]DAO[/b][/purple].Recordset

Set rst = Me.RecordsetClone
   rst.MoveLast
   If Me.Bookmark = rst.Bookmark Then
      'Your Code
   End If[/blue]
To explain the above: each record in a form is [blue]assigned an unique bookmark[/blue]. The RecordsetClone is a [blue]copy of those records including the assigned bookmarks.[/blue] [purple]MoveLast[/purple] takes you to the last record in the copy which is the same as the last record on the form. [purple]So if the bookmarks match, you know your on the last record.[/purple]

As for:
Code:
[blue]If Me.RecordsetClone.RecordCount = Me.CurrentRecord Then[/blue]
[blue]Me.RecordsetClone.RecordCount[/blue] is the total number of records in the recordsetclone, hence in the form. [blue]Me.CurrentRecord[/blue] is the record number (same as in the navigation bar). So [blue]Me.CurrentRecord[/blue] will be the same as the [blue]RecordCount[/blue] when your on the last record.

Calvin.gif
See Ya! . . . . . .

AceMan,

Excellent description/explantion of what's going on with this code. Makes sense to me now. Thanks for taking the time to elaborate on this...

That's what makes these forums so valuable - MVP's who have the knowledge and are willing to share. You guys rock!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back