Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

stop reset of form after validation 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

MikeM2468

IS-IT--Management
Apr 5, 2011
US
I have an onSubmit form validation function. It works ok, but if it finds an error, it resets the whole form. Is there a way to have it not reset the whole form?

an html form is reset when a user presses a reset button (type="reset") or programmatically the reset method is being called.

one of these two things is occurring.

We can't help you much further without seeing your code. Perhaps you could provide a url to the offending page?

an html form is reset when a user presses a reset button (type="reset") or programmatically the reset method is being called.

one of these two things is occurring.

We can't help you much further without seeing your code. Perhaps you could provide a url to the offending page?

Here is the code:

Code:
<html>
<head>
<script language="JavaScript">
<script>
    function validatePhone(phonenumber) {
    	var rephonenumber = /^(?:\([2-9]\d{2}\)\ ?|[2-9]\d{2}(?:\-|\ ?))[2-9]\d{2}-\d{4}$/;
    	return rephonenumber.test(phonenumber);
	}
    function validateForm()
    {
    	// Validate Phone
    	var phonenumber = $("#phone").val();
    	if (validatePhone(phonenumber)) { } else {
    		alert("Please enter a valid phone number, format ###-###-####");
			exit();			
    	}
      return false;
    }
</script>
</head>
<form method="post" onsubmit="return validateForm();">
	Phone Number: <input type="text" name="phonenumber" id="phone" placeholder="###-###-####"/><br />	
	<input type="submit" name="Submit" value="Submit" />
</form>

you were not stopping your form from submitting. so the form was not 'resetting' but the page was being refreshed.

to stop the form from resetting you must pass back boolean false. you were bailing with an exit instead, which is not the equivalent of boolean false, so the browser carried on with its default action.

Also in order to use jQuery selectors you need to have loaded jQuery. Your code does not do this.

Code:
<!DOCTYPE HTML>
<html>
<head>

<script src="//ajax.googleapis.com/ajax/libs/jquery/1.10.2/jquery.min.js"></script>
    	var rephonenumber = /^(?:\([2-9]\d{2}\)\ ?|[2-9]\d{2}(?:\-|\ ?))[2-9]\d{2}-\d{4}$/;
	}

function validateForm(){
		// Validate Phone
		if (validatePhone( $("#phone").val())) {
			return true;
		} else {
			return false;
		}
	}
</script>
</head>
<body>
<form method="post" action="" onsubmit="return validateForm();">
	Phone Number: <input type="text" name="phonenumber" id="phone" placeholder="###-###-####"/><br />	
</form>
</body> 
</html>

A more jQuery compliant way of doing this is
Code:
<!DOCTYPE HTML>
<html>
<head>
<script src="//ajax.googleapis.com/ajax/libs/jquery/1.10.2/jquery.min.js"></script>
}

$(document).ready(function(){
	$('#phoneForm').on('submit', function(e){
		if(validatePhone( $('#phone').val() ) ){
			return true;
		} else {
			e.preventDefault();
		}
	});
});
</script>
</head>
<body>
<form method="post" action="" id="phoneForm">
</form>
</body> 
</html>

I have jquery in there but missed it when I cut out the sample. I had tried false but it didn't seem to work. Now that I've added it again, it works. I must have missed something.

I need to add one more validation to this. I need to check the phone number against MySQL to see if it exists before it gets submitted. Can I do something with ajax to call another php script to run the query and return true or false if the number is found?

yes. to avoid garbage responses return properly formed json objects rather than text.

but remember that it is not (usually) invalid for more than one user to share a telephone number....

Most of the examples I see are running the query on keyup. I want it to run on submit after it validates the number is in the correct format. How do I create the function, call the php query, and feed the result back into the function?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back