Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Stop MSN Messenger and/or Yahoo Messenger from loading

Status
Not open for further replies.

xexth

IS-IT--Management
Jul 25, 2001
CA
Hi! I have a computer with ME installed on it and am having problems preventing teenagers using MSN Messenger and Yahoo Messenger. [I apologize if this is the wrong forum but as I am using Millenium this was the only forum that seemed appropriate.] I have tried using the zonealarm firewall (both Pro and the free edition) to block these programs - this works until the firewall is disabled - I can't believe that the password in this program doesn't prevent disabling - Is there a way to prevent these programs from loading on ME or is there a way to disable these programs without messing up internet explorer or outlook express? Thanks in advance for your help or comments.

My grandaughter tried to log in to AOL instant messenger and the popup blocker would not allow AOL to pop up the sign on screen. Google toolbar popup blocker stopped that and it may stop MSN also.
Also you can remove MSN messenger by going to Control Panel, Add/Remove programs, click on Windows setup, you will probably find it in Communications. Uncheck it and it will remove it from the system and shouldn't bother anything else. I do not install it with ME by removing the check mark. You will probably need to restart.
Hope this helps

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back