Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Stop Microsoft Security Essentials pop-up on XP machines 1

Status
Not open for further replies.
Oct 7, 2007
US
Any way to turn this little whiner off every time a computer starts up?? I know it's bugging me and surely customers will be asking me. Jeez - leave me alone, I know XP is being put out to pasture Microsoft.

mse.jpg

"Living tomorrow is everyone's sorrow.
Modern man's daydreams have turned into nightmares.

You may not like the answer. If you wish to continue using XP, you will eventually need to uninstall Security Essentials and get a new AV program. There are some temporary workarounds listed here. I can't verify how well they work, though.

James P. Cottingham
I'm number 1,229!
I'm number 1,229!

Not really a correct answer. MSE on XP is going to be supported and updated for quite a while (until July 14, 2015), but the nag warning is unacceptable in its frequency.

You won't be able to do a fresh install after today. But neither of those was my question.

I dont like this method and have not tried it yet: There has got to be a reg tweak to fix just MSE from doing that......

Learning - A never ending quest for knowledge usually attained by being thrown in a situation and told to fix it NOW.

Yeah, that's not specifically for M.S.E. notifications or even this new nagging pop-up situation. For how many years has Microsoft been planning to phase out XP and JUST NOW there's a full blitz of aggravating popups to prepare the un-knowledegable masses about the demise of XP.

One solution seems to be to use an older executable (without compromising signature updates):

Looks like a bit of an ugly hack, but seems to do the trick.

Good luck!
MakeItSo

“Knowledge is power. Information is liberating. Education is the premise of progress, in every society, in every family.” (Kofi Annan)
Oppose SOPA, PIPA, ACTA; measures to curb freedom of information under whatever name whatsoever.

Won't it just get updated when the next update to the program comes along (not signatures, but program update).

It shouldn't.
According to this hack, the reference is changed to a different executable (2). So although the "genuine" executable "will" get updated, it will not be run, hence no popup.

“Knowledge is power. Information is liberating. Education is the premise of progress, in every society, in every family.” (Kofi Annan)
Oppose SOPA, PIPA, ACTA; measures to curb freedom of information under whatever name whatsoever.

I'm going to scope this out. I only use my XP machine for vinyl to WAV recording, but it's still bugging me. Other people are going be living with it all day/night.

This is quite annoying as well: "You cannot change the status of Microsoft Security Essentials to Green on Windows XP after the upgrade." That's like ignoring the check engine light on your car. You don't know if there's a serious problem or something minor.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back