Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

stop mesage regarding pfc.sys

Status
Not open for further replies.

bendster

MIS
Oct 15, 2002
US
i was getting a explorer.exe error every other time i tried to go into my computer or c: . it would say explorer.exe has generated errors and will be restarted. so i tried reinstalling win2k as an upgrade and now i get up to the startup screen with the white progress bar....and then i get a win2k blue screen stop message referring to pfc.sys saying it was not handled. tried rebooting into safe mode...still no good...i have so much data on this drive...please someone tell me its salvagable...

Easiest method is to put that drive in another known good machine and boot to the other machines OS, and save your data with your faulty drive as secondary.

Than - reinstall from scratch. The pfc.sys sounds like a Video driver problem. You could also try replacing the Video card with a more generic one (if available). But - if your data is whats most critical - slave that drive in a different machine - get your data - then work on the pfc.sys error after that.

Hope that helps..
Pbxman
Systems Administrator

Please let Tek-Tips members know their posts were helpful.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back