Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

stop error "kmode_exception_not_handled" WILL NOT BOOT 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheWkndr

Programmer
May 1, 2002
US
Have a laptop running 2kPro that had around 55G of data on a 60G hd (I'm a DBA). Was copying about 10G stuff off of it to a networked drive via wireless and at the same time listening to music. It told me to upgrade Winamp to fix a security flaw, and when I did it rebooted unexpectedly - while the cut and paste was still in progress. Now I get the BSOD with the above error. It will not boot in safe mode either. I do have the installation cd's. I rana repair on windows and nothing changed. I have an old Win98 boot disk and according to FDisk partition info, the HD is completely full.
Any ideas? The stuff on the drive is not irreplaceable, but I'd love to keep it if I can. From what I can gather about the message, it won't boot because it thinks the disk is full. But if i can't get it to boot, how can I clean off the disk?

A BartPE CD would be useful - Google for it (you need an XP or 2k3 install CD to build one) - as you could boot the machine from it with full access to the hard drive (first thing I'd do is run chkdsk /f)

Failing that - what about recovery console?

(btw, when you say repair so you mean this -

You can run chkdsk /p or chkdsk /r from there - and you have access to some of the filestore (root of C: and windows folders and its subfolders)

For reference - I was able to get a hold of our Help Desk manager and the passwords she gave me did not work (Our help desk's level of expertise is the main reason I am doing this myself:) ) to run the recovery console.

BartPE worked good - I couldn't figure out if it is because the laptop is running Win2K (although not anymore) and BartPE requires WinXP - but the networking portion would not work. Luckily I have an external USB HD that I use for backups and I was able to boot from the CD I made and it recognized the USB drive in the BartPE file manager as long as it was plugged in prior to booting up - no plug and play support.
I was able to at least copy everything to this drive. Chkdsk without the /f showed errors, but with the /f did not fix it. I'm fine with them rebuilding it now as all of my files were saved.

Thank you very much.

glad you're sorted - the bart network only has a default set of network drivers (which obviously didn't include yours) - you can add more network drivers to the Bart build (but as you managed with usb, not necessary in your case).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back