Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Stop Calculating Everytime

Status
Not open for further replies.

Guest_imported

Jan 1, 1970
Hi all,
Well, my report is pretty big (500k records -- banking tx).. now, I defined a measure, something like count(<Acc>).. the thing is.. everytime i add a cell, create new report etc. it takes so long to do everything because bo is evaluating the measure everytime.. is there a way to stop this from happening.. I guess an Excel equivalent would be to set calculation method to manual.. ie Application.Calculation = xlCalculationManual
Any help would be greatly appreciated!!

Maslan

Hello Maslan,

2 ways to circle around this peculiar BO behaviour:

1. During report building restrict dataset retrieved to a minimum by putting extra conditions (later remove them)

2. Switch to structure view when adding colums etc. This will prevent BO from recalculations that take a lot of time.

The first option works the best if you manage to retrieve just a few records for designs sake!! T. Blom
Information analist
Shimano Europe
tbl@shimano-eu.com

blom0344 is correct. Some other comments:

You cannot full edit graphs on structure view.

When the report structure is complex (has a lot of cells/tables/graphs/sections/ruptures, etc.), a simple cell formula edition consumes quite a time, even if the data providers are empty. what i do is:

1. create a temporal report on the document,
2. move the table/graph to the newly created report,
3. edit the table/graph in it, and
4. when done, move the table back to the original report and delete the temporal report.

Only a theory of me, but deleting unused formulas and constants may increase speed (Data -> Variables). Be very cautious deleting variables, since you can loose your work easily. And be aware BO incorrectly informs of unused variables.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back