Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

STOP: c000021a {Fatal System Error}

Status
Not open for further replies.

brk1221

MIS
Jan 29, 2002
US
Hi, I have a Dell Latitude E6500- Windows 7 Laptop - clean install fully updated. . After about an hour the machine will blue screen and need a manual reatart. Otherwise the machine performs fine. I ran spinright disk check and memtest86 with no errors. I removed the back plate and blew out the fan area. Any further troubleshooting tips would be appreciated. See link for screen shot of BSOD

Screen shot of error

Try this procedure using the Debugging Tools for Windows in procedure.
It looks harder than it really is. I'd almost tell you to do it on a DIFFERENT computer if the one is questions is not stable enough.

Basically, once you have the debugging tool installed, launch a command prompt and switch to the debugging tool installation directory, which for me was c:\Program Files\Debugging Tools for Windows (x86)\. Next, launch the graphical debugger by entering the following command (all on one line):
windbg -y srv*C:\symbols* -i c:\i386 -z c:\PathToMiniDumpFile__Mini051311-01.dmp

Need to be connected to the internet for the test to work. You'll get information on the module that might be causing the crash or at least the last thing windows did when it puked.

Thanks for the info. Unfortunatly a Minidump file has not been created. I did go in and change it to "small dump file". I'll wait for the next crash to see what happens

Do you use third party Anti Virus, Recovery, or Back Up software, that might be causing you problems?

Have you tried testing in Safe Mode or via the Clean Boot procedure?

Advanced startup options (including safe mode)

How to troubleshoot a problem by performing a clean boot in Windows Vista or in Windows 7

Does anyone know how to correct my dell computer problem?

That BSOD has many causes (see the links below)... seeing that you have the second parameter C0000006, which suggest an IN-PAGE-ERROR which can be HDD or RAM related or even both, as well as the Pagefile being corrupt...
as you already have checked the RAM, I would suggest to use the manufacturers tool to diag the HDD, spinright is not a diagnostic tool...
then proceed with replacing the SATA cable and I would either relocate the PAGEFILE.sys to another partition and deleting the old one on the C partition, or turn it off reboot and delete the pagefile, and then recreate it...

How to troubleshoot a "STOP 0xC000021A" error

Stop 0xC000021a in Windows Session manager while starting windows

Ben
"If it works don't fix it! If it doesn't use a sledgehammer..."
How to ask a question, when posting them to a professional forum.
Only ask questions with yes/no answers if you want "yes" or "no"

A few more crashes but it still won't create a minidump file

Then see Linney/BadBigBen posts to get a handle on what's happening. Probably BadBigBen's first since it's a hardware test and you need to verify hardware first before worrying about software.

Can you browse to this location, and open it? C:\Windows\Minidump OR, C:\Windows\MEMORY.DMP.

What options do you have set in System Properties/Startup and Recovery/Settings/System failure in regards to memory dumps?

Just ran into a similar issue on a Lenovo laptop today. It would bluescreen with that 21A stop code trying to PXE boot into the customers server to install the corporate image. Even though the ram passed diags. I replaced it, and no more blue screens. weird.

Yep, I've seen that before also, but this was original equipment supplied by the manufacturer at purchase, not after market. And not a new machine, 2 years old.

It's a Seagate HD. I ran a Seatools scan and did produce an error. It suggeated I run Seatools for DOS. The dos version is a bootable disk. I created the disk, booted off it and it goes into a reboot loop.

So, you could either try and run it from the Ultimate Boot CD OR get the floppy version. Usually the floppy version is bullet proof if the one run from UBCD fails to run. Why, I don't know, but I've seen it enough times.

You'll probably tell us - "no floppy drive". It (usb external floppy) always comes in handy for this type of thing.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back