Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Stop 0x000000b8 error

Status
Not open for further replies.

skatz

Programmer
Aug 8, 2001
US
I've got a computer running 2000 sp3, which will work in safe mode, but in normal mode shortly after logging in (workstation only or on the Novell LAN) it will generate a blue screen with STOP 0x000000B8 error, with parameters (0,0,0,0). It also says "A wait operation, attach process or yield was attempted from a DPC Routine." then dumps memory to a file before rebooting.

All I can find indicates: RAM problem - not here since I swapped RAM with RAM from another PC; Parallel Zip driver problem - but I have a USB Zip (which I've disconnected and didn't make a difference) but nothing at all parallel; or something related to the Windows Cluster driver (clusnet.sys) which also doesn't apply here.

This has happened a few previous times. A couple of times it happened just once, and the user rebooted and was fine. One other time it happened repeatedly, so I deleted some (spyware type) things using HijackThis and then it was fine. But now it's come up again. I even tried using HijackThis to delete everything from startup, and that didn't matter.

The login is Novell, so I tried uninstalling that just in case something from the Novell or the network itself was the problem. No change, so I put the drivers back.

Any ideas? I'm trying to avoid reformatting and reloading Win2K, but I'm worried that the (almost as painful) process of reloading Win2K on top might not fix it.

Thanks. Already saw it. That registry value isn't in my system. This is one of the things I've found over and over, but it isn't causing my stop error.

well run sfc in safe mode and see if that fixes it. Also I know you dont think its your ram but im going to give you a link to a page for testing your ram for it could possibly be. If not its free and still worth checking. Nothing to loose.

download it and follow the page instructions.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back