Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

.STM file (Streaming database)

Status
Not open for further replies.

NTGoober

MIS
Aug 13, 2003
US
Questions about that $%#$#@ .STM file . . .

I am aware of the two files the make up the information store, the priv1.edb and the priv1.stm files, and the nuances of dealing with the 16Gb limit size limit in Exchange Standard.

The current sizes of our files are 11.57 Gb for the .EDB, and 5.18 Gb for the .STM. Summing the Exported list of mailboxes and sizes to csv with import into Excel gives me about 11 Gb. Historically, the STM file has been constant at about 5 Gb, only the EDB fluctuates with use and cleanup.

It appears as though none of the content of the STM file is accounted for anywhere (I don't see it, I think, in Outlook, and I certainly don't see it accounted for in Exchange System manager), and only the data in the EDB is reduceable by client-side deletion/archiving.

My folder size in Outlook matches the size reported by the Exchange System Manager under "mailboxes". I assume that this means other users' mailboxes will be the same.

The questions I have and hope to have some enlightenment on are these:

- How is content in the STM file accessed?
- What tools are available to view/manage this content?
- Where can I access content in the STM file?
- Is the STM file "purge-able"
- Is data in the STM file a "Single Instance Store"-like file, and that, it can only be deleted if all users who had a copy of it in their mailbox delete it?
- how can I tell who has information in the STM file?

Your insight is much appreciated.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back