Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

STK L 700 tape library robot holding the media. 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Anu6006

Technical User
Jan 14, 2012
US
Hello All,
I have an STK L700 tape library, which has 4 HP LTO3 FC tape drives and 2 IBM LTO4 FC tape drives, the robot is FC connected.

I have an issue,The hand assembly picks the media from tape drives after backup and then goes to a slot and holds the media for a long time, then i can see a message, initialization failed.

I checked the FSC logs and I could find 3 FSC logs with reach alert.

&&309D
&&3087
&&3087

I have checked the physical library status, it is working normally, after we take out the media and re initialize it.

I dont think this could be due to hardware failure, anyone could you kindly help me out to isolate the issue?

Regards

Anu6006

Anu6006,

It's likely your L700 has a faulty hand. The 309D indicates that when the hand arrived at the slot, the cartridge present sensor is telling the controller that the hand is already empty.

You can elimiate any logical software error by looping the get/put diagnostic from the LCD panel. If it fails then the culprit in order of probability is

1. Hand
2. MPC (controller) card
3. Z-Cable that runs from hand up to the roof section

But Its been three weeks now, the tape library is working perfectly fine and we dont recieve the same issue. How ever I wanted to know the cause behind the issue.

Is ther any way to analyse further?

Regards,
Anu

Looks like it's cleared then. L700's do give some strange faults. Aside from the help you get from FSC codes, the best time to analysis problems is at time of failure, checking if it's a range of cartridges, or a specific destination column, or when unloading specific tape drives, verifying top and bottom door catches fully locked etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back