Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

STK error CHK BA4A

Status
Not open for further replies.

mletendre

Technical User
Dec 30, 2008
US
On a T10Ka drive I load in a tape and on the VOP I see LOAD BA4A and then CHK BA4A and the tape will eject itself. I was hoping someone had a definition and a fix for this. it does not seem to happen with all or even most tapes and we had just initialized these on the same drive.

just got another one, this time it was 5A4A

Sorry, don't have the FSC list for T10000, but sure would like to find a copy!

I know one user here had some contacts at STK that could look them up, I dont want to throw them under the bus and name names but I was hopping they could help me out again!

T10KA CHK codes 5A4A and BA4A are the same problem:

Timed out during load sequence attempting to verify proper
operation of the servo demodulator. At least one head had a partial failure. Check head for debris.

Drive 80%
Media 20%

More info on this problem....

It is a known problem and an internal change request was issued for better recovery in firmware. It was def still an ongoing problem with 1.34.109 code, maybe higher. If your drive has code about that vintage I would refrain from smashing it up until you can try it with the latest code.

The drive we are using has firmware of 1.38

I can try it with another set of heads as well.

Interesting enough I swapped the boards out with another drive and some of the tapes that were an issue are now loading fine, others are not (irritating)

I kept the top cover off and loaded data tapes and they wind around the hub fine, I ejected it and tried loading a cleaning tape, well it did not wind. The VOP program showed CLEANING but there was no movement of the tape at all. I tried this with 3 different cleaning tapes and all did the same thing. I tried a data tape again and that loaded fine.

I was also given this info....

The T10000 code 5A4A indicates bad tape, MEZ card not seated, Dirty Head. The error code BA4A says leader not connected to tape

incase anyone looks for this in the future, I will try to update this as I figure it out.

FYI- Just as in the 9840/9940 drives, when a cleaning tape is loaded, there will not be any cleaning action taking place unless the cleaning light is on. The cleaning tapes are abrasive and they will load, and say "cleaning", but they are not actually doing anything.

STKman- Good to see you posting again!

Andy

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back