Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

STK 9740 question

Status
Not open for further replies.

TekAndy

Technical User
Mar 6, 2007
US
Does the 9740 support the 9940B? I know the 9741e frame bolts up to the library. Is there a minimum FW level for the 9940B?

Andy

Oh, I meant to ask if the 9740 needs a minimmum FW level. Thanks

Andy

Andy, I had a look on the web. I expect you have someone who can translate Spanish but it looks like this Spanish site has a 9740 with 2x 9940B FC.

"El entorno Solaris, compuesto por dos servidores Sun Fire 25000 con un total de 72 procesadores cada uno corriendo Solaris 9 y 10, y particionados en 26 dominios físicos, empleaba Veritas NetBackup 6.0 Enterprise Server contra una librería local StorageTek L180 con cuatro drives de fibra LTO-Ultrium y control de robótica SCSI con 100 cintas de 100 Gb. Y en el entorno Windows, que corre Windows 2003 Server Enterprise Edition SP1, se usaba por su parte Veritas NetBackup 5.0, contando con un servidor de backup único con dos HBAs interconectadas a un switch Brocade SilkWorm-3200 y de éste a las cuatro unidades LTO de una librería StorageTek L180 con 70 cintas de 200 Gb. Adicionalmente y compartida con el mainframe, el SPEE tenía asimismo una librería remota StorageTek TimberWolf 9740 con dos unidades nativas 9940B FC y 100 cintas de 200 Gb, controlada desde la partición de explotación en z/OS."

If the 9740 is SCSI then I suppose 2.00.02 will be the firmware but there is also an IBM "Enterprise" version of 9740 firmware which is at about 1.03.04 or somewhere in that region.

Hi, we have a STK9740 with 9840B FC drive...we had to up the code to 2.4.01 or 2.1.04... The small red/black cable on the tray had also to be swapped around for the 9740 to see the 9840B Fc drives. I am sure it is possible for the 9940B drives to work... to do with firmware levels... will find out more as well.

Translated from Spanish to English: please read below:

"The Solaris environment, consisting of two Sun Fire 25,000 with a total of 72 processors each running Solaris 9 and 10, and partitioned into 26 domains, employing Veritas NetBackup Enterprise Server 6.0 against a local StorageTek L180 library with four drives fiber LTO-Ultrium SCSI robotics and control with 100 GB and 100 tapes in the Windows environment, running Windows 2003 Server Enterprise Edition SP1, was used by his party Veritas NetBackup 5.0, with one backup server with two HBAs interconnected to a switch Brocade SilkWorm-3200 and from there to four LTO drives in a StorageTek L180 library with 70 tapes of 200 Gb Additionally, shared with the mainframe, the SSSS was also a remote StorageTek TimberWolf 9740 library with two native units 9940B FC and 100 tapes of 200 Gb partition controlled exploitation on z / OS.

TechyG,

Thanks for the info and translation.

I was aware of the 2.1.04 level, but I thought it was a special for the 9710 only. I don't have the release notes but if you say it also works for the 9740 then I'll update my notes. You learn good stuff on this forum.

Depending on where the 9940B comes from, you might need to change the bezel targets.

Hi, I will see for the release notes once i get to the office. Yes, the bezel must have the same target as he one we use on the DLT drives.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back