Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

STILL HAVING HD TO HD COPY PROBLEM.

Status
Not open for further replies.

PETC8263

Technical User
Apr 28, 2003
US
I'VE BEEN TRYING TO COPY HD TO HD.THE COPY IS ALMOST SUCESSFULL,EXCEPT 1 SECTORS FILES ARE NOT IMAGING.THE OTHER TWO SECTORS ARE FINE.CAN SOMEONE PLEASE TELL ME WHERE I AM GOING WRONG.I AM TRYING SYMANTEC GHOST,NORTON GHOSTAND I STILL CANNOT GET THIS RIGHT.PLEASE GUYS HELPPPPPPPPP...

Please don't yell. Use lower case.

One sector's files? You maybe mean one partition's files?

Ed Fair
Any advice I give is my best judgement based on my interpretation of the facts you supply. Help increase my knowledge by providing some feedback, good or bad, on any advice I have given.

Yes 1 of the partitions files is not coping.Sorry for yelling,just a bit frustated. thanx..

Are you copying whole drive or each partition separately?
Depending on operating system, have you tried running scandisk or chkdsk on the offending partition?

I've tried doing it both ways with no success.the partition in question is CP/M based.This partition is not being copied.The partition is fine in the master with all the files,and copies the partition into the slave ,but not the files in the partition.Hopefully this added info might help.. Thanx.

I'll bail out of any discussion here. CP/M is alien to me, I'm a FLEX guy and another processor based. But I suspect that ghost has problems with the directory entries which it uses in the copy process.

Ed Fair
Any advice I give is my best judgement based on my interpretation of the facts you supply. Help increase my knowledge by providing some feedback, good or bad, on any advice I have given.

Can i assume you have a new hd and if so ..instead of symantic ghosting......make your original hd the master with slave present or just master & new hd the slave...make sure the jumper settings are correct. if u have the disc that came with the new hd..boot to that disk and it will automatically detect the two drives ...it will ask u a series of questions and (1st) will be copy from one disk to new disk and (2nd)do you want the perimeters to be the same as the 1st very simple.....let the procedure take care of itself.

good luck...

sorry i misspelled parameter....

Thank you guys for all the help.I'll give your suggestions a try...

thread751-586261 has a comment regarding another copy program. Don't know if this would be useful in your situation.

If you continue to have trouble you could try googling for cpm users groups or something like that and ask your question on one of those sites.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back