Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Stick with what I know or go Drupal/Joomla WPress?

Status
Not open for further replies.

RobS23

Programmer
Jun 4, 2001
GB
I know the basic question has been asked many times but I think not quite from this perspective.

I have always used a decent mishmash of the tools I know. A bit of Dreamweaver for the ability to preview my CSS and HTML. ASP.NET C# SQL where necessary - tested in the Visual Studio environment.

But. Now I'm integrating an existing web design for an NGO in Cambodia that we are, at least hoping, will have far more regularly updated content plus a blog.

I can't always be there when they cross the road so CMS is the next step.

So people what do you think? Do I 1. stick with what I know and develop some tools? 2. do I (and it looks like a nightmare - and I'm only really looking at downloading it to my local machine so far, because developing online does not seem a wise option) go for one of the freeware CMS tools

All opinions appreciated (with low cost in mind please)

i am (slowly) moving sites to drupal from a variety of 'unmanaged' sites, and while the learning curve is steep, it does seem to be an ideal solution, very configurable, good community support, consistent and reliable.

Another tool I can really recommend is TYPOLight, now running under the name of "Contao":

It is relatively easy to handle and quite felxible too, with tons of free extensions.

Cheers,
MiS

[navy]"We had to turn off that service to comply with the CDA Bill."[/navy]
- The Bastard Operator From Hell

Thanks Guys.

I think I was just trying to avoid the inevitable. I've had a look a Joomla, a bit black box for my tastes, I'm downloading Drupal...we'll see how it goes.

Thanks again.

I am also a .net developer with limited php experience. I have recently created a new site in drupal and have really found it to be a flexible, full featured solution. there are many modules that can do just about anything you may need and the support base is huge. their forums are very active.

It is also easy to administer and I have found it to be very hands-off content-wise - I was able to hand over all publishing of content to a few users who have limited web (html) development knowledge, but are very familiar with word processors (ms word and wordperfect) and they were able to pick it right up with minimal training.

carl
MCSD, MCTS:MOSS

Thanks Carl. After digging around I was leaning towards Drupal.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back